Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wireless uplighters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wireless uplighters
    Posted: 13 May 2019 at 2:27pm
Hiya

Me again.

I'm looking for some wireless dmx, battery LED uplighters and am hoping you can give me some suggestions. I was looking at Chauvet Tri-6 units, because I have Chauvet scanners and I know of the brand, but I really don't know what I'm looking at when looking at these units other than looking at the rating and number of LEDs.

I'm looking to use them indoors, for wall up-lighting. Static during dinner and then chasing, strobing etc as an extension of my "disco" lights for the dancing bit.

I'm a bit lost as I don't know what are good brands or how to read the specs (which I take with a pinch of salt anyway). Thomann has a Stairville tour pack which looks quite good - certainly, the heads appear more powerful than the Chauvet, but any pointers on what to look for would be greatly appreciated.
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
re-production View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote re-production Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 2:59pm
The prolight uplighters are very popular for good reason.
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 3:11pm
By prolight, do you mean the LEDJ/Equinox ones? I’m looking at dome LEDJ ones that seem to do the job better than chauvet
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
re-production View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote re-production Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 5:14pm
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 7:07pm
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 7:43pm
Looking at the differences in specs, the cost of it being wireless is quite a bit. 

I can get 8 heads, the cables and flight cases for half the price of the wireless ones and the wired ones are brighter. 

I appreciate that I will spend more time setting up, running cables etc and there is a price on that, but the other benefit of wired is not having to worry about using wireless transmission signals!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 8:45pm
You tend to set an up lighter using the buttons on the unit and forget it, so the wireless control is just a convenience. It’s more the battery that helps, because it stops you running jacket or hanging cable in places not suited for it. Less structure, fewer hours of labour.

More cash up front but far neater jobs at less cost ongoing. It pays off. Until someone nicks one

Edited by toastyghost - 13 May 2019 at 8:45pm
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 9:01pm
Yeah, I’m planning on putting some chases through them to compliment my scanners so I want control over them. 

TBH, I’m just not sure what to do. It all started when I saw some chauvet freedom sticks (battery LED battens battons battens) and thought they’d be cool, then I thought they wouldn’t be bright enough (lots of weddings we do are in rooms where it’s just dimmed rather than pitch dark). That’s when I thought of some led pars and my head has been spinning ever since. Even though about a pair of the new Martin wizard, calmed down and dimmed to do a glitter ball effect for weddings and a full-on nuts effect for other parties

The biggest problem is that I don’t have a local store where I can go and spend the day looking at my options

Edited by djgorey - 13 May 2019 at 9:03pm
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 10:53pm
Im using cheap adl mega tripar profile plus with a  chinese wireless dmx pcb. 

Total cost £60 each. Still got to plug it in to the wall but placement is much easier if you don't have to run dmx cables to everything.  

Id have preferred battery and oem built in wireless but with 20 odd of the fixtures the budget didn't stretch that far.  

I use my fixtures much as you describe.  
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 11:24pm
Get the battery up lights, but don't worry too much about 'programming them' 90% of people won't notice. Just bear in mind an 8 pack in a charge case is heavy 
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 11:44pm
When looking at LED pars, to compare brightnesses is it as simple as looking at the total power of the LED’s being used? For instance. Will a par with 7 x 5w LED’s be the same as one with 1 x 35w LED, assuming the same lens, beam angle, coverage angle)

(In praise of the specs I’ve been reading, at least they all use standardised metrics. Bike lights are a nightmare to compare)
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 12:04am
Originally posted by djgorey djgorey wrote:

When looking at LED pars, to compare brightnesses is it as simple as looking at the total power of the LED’s being used? For instance. Will a par with 7 x 5w LED’s be the same as one with 1 x 35w LED, assuming the same lens, beam angle, coverage angle)

(In praise of the specs I’ve been reading, at least they all use standardised metrics. Bike lights are a nightmare to compare)
If you do rgb it shouldn't matter. If say you want to do yellow, and it's from more than one source you'll see bits of green. Not an issue if its a par can up in the sky. But an up lighter that's close to a wall you'll see it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>