Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Video: Ports, transmission lines, horns & more

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Video: Ports, transmission lines, horns & more
    Posted: 14 May 2019 at 2:40pm
Rather enjoyed this, with the exception of the part where he left the tone generator going...

Interesting discussion on ply vs MDF and techniques for damping panels with urethane goo towards the end too.

JulianDA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulianDA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 4:01pm
I also saw this video (but going into it with a rather sceptical mindset). I could not stop thinking about how the the resonance of the transmissionline and the resonance of the port cancel each other to give a overall flat response. In my mind this can not make a good speaker, because of the whole groupdelay that gets added through the resonators. I mean sure, the frequency domain may look good, but i suspect some strange stuff in the time/phase domain....
But thats just my limited knowledge combined with gut feeling, so maybe someone with more experience can say something about this.

snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 10:11pm
i've compared mdf and ply and the mdf always seemed to have less ringing to my ears. I'd like to see his fancy decidamp compared to good old bitumen sheet.
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

i've compared mdf and ply and the mdf always seemed to have less ringing to my ears. I'd like to see his fancy decidamp compared to good old bitumen sheet.
Can't tour an mdf box though. 
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 12:20pm
mdf/ply laminate?
A 9mm sheet of each?

Good knows how you'd get consistency without industrial machinery.  Suprised none of the manufacturer's arent getting it made if its noticeable though.  
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 12:42pm
MDF is heavier. But you want stiffness for speakers not density.
 Post Reply Post Reply