Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Small fullrange boxes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small fullrange boxes.
    Posted: 25 May 2019 at 6:10pm
Hello guys.

Trying to decide what box i want to put some money into.
I am in need of some new small fullrange boxes for just about everything they are used for.
Fun fairs, speak coverage at bicycle races and other outdoor events, conferences, small partys, weddings, jukebox rentals etc etc.

You know the drill :)

And i got two to choose from.
EV SX300 ( i got amps and gear ready for it )
RCF ART 312a mk.4

I have been looking into pros and cons,but i cant decide now.
I like the sound they both got, and SPL are plenty fine!

EV got the name and pedigree behind it.
RCF got onboard amp.
EV got a Titanium dome and 1,25" coil.
RCF got a Mylar dome and 1,5" coil.
Woofer are both 12" and 2,5" coils.
EV crossover at 1500hz.
RCF at 1800hz.

Anybody got some good arguments for one box instead of the other?
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 7:56pm
Neither box could really be described as 'full range' because they will both be massively lacking in the low end.  Need to be used with some kind of bass cabinet to make a proper full range system.

For convenience I would probably go with the active RCF boxes.

FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 8:59pm
I know this forum is the wrong place to call it a full range hahaha. My bad.

But full range to me, is a box that can be used on its own.  That actually has a decent output around 50hz.
A dedicated top box is something like Mt130. Absolutly No chance of LF output there :)

Anyways.. 
RCF for convenience. Noted 🙂
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 10:39pm
You should easily be able to listen to or sub hire both of those options and make up your own mind. Simple numbers will never tell the whole story.

The RCF are dog ugly but sound better. Neither would be anywhere near my first choice.
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 11:30pm
I have allready done that :) 

One time with EV and next gig was with RCF. And actually had both models out for the same gig last thursday, and switched between them a couple of times while playing music and speech thrue them.

I really cant make up my mind.
EV is crystal clear and pretty loud. Good punch. 
RCF got a better midrange, but punch is replaced with a bit more LF output.

I run passive subs, so if i need more LF, it will be with a passive sub+amps.

Regarding the looks, Agreed RCF art3 series are not so good on the eye. But a fullface grill helps a bit.
And again, the looks.. Almost everybody knows the sx300. 
Its a easy box to do rentals with. 

Decisions decisions... 
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 11:55pm
Personally I would be looking at Yamaha DXR12 or even the new DZR with Dante.

Maybe the QSC K2 Stuff.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 12:04am
I dont like the Yamaha sound. And QSCs cost alot more.
They have been eliminated earlyer.

Smile
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 9:34am
Self-powered speakers (almost) always fail prematurely due to heat/vibration/solder issues, etc, etc. Thus, I´d go for the EV´s - they should give you years of trouble free service.  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 12:06pm
Thats a very good reason. Havent thought about that at all. Shocked
Risc_Terilia View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 1:12pm
If you haven't heard dxr12s then you should.  They sound very similar to qsc but are cheaper and have a 7 year warranty.
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Risc_Terilia Risc_Terilia wrote:

If you haven't heard dxr12s then you should.  They sound very similar to qsc but are cheaper and have a 7 year warranty.

I dont like how Yamaha sounds. They didnt make me smile when i heard them.
Art 312 and sx300 did and still do. 
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by FOO FOO wrote:

I dont like how Yamaha sounds. They didnt make me smile when i heard them.
Art 312 and sx300 did and still do.
I can understand your criticism of the Yamaha. They are a classic Yamaha product with a super flat and clean sound, this is something that turns off people who like a bit more edge to their sound. And the cab finish is a bit delicate, no way they will remain good looking without covers and careful handling, but I do love my DXR15's. I also own a bunch of the newer EV powered boxes and like those too, they also have a corporate sound.. classic EV that doesn't seem to require much EQ. The difference here is that the Yamaha is brutally honest whereas the EVs will mask things, if your music production or track quality isn't top notch the Yamahas will expose it like a giant warning beacon, but that isn't a flaw with the speaker IMO.
As for powered vs passive, for general non war volume use powered is the way to go, it's just too damn convenient... you bring in the speaker put it on a stand and connect power and a source, done.

Edited by Conanski - 26 May 2019 at 3:23pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>