Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should I build kick bins??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farquaad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I build kick bins??
    Posted: 26 May 2019 at 12:33am
Hello all!

Been trolling the forum for years and I very much appreciate all the knowledge you guys have given me over the years. However, the time has come where I could use some much needed advice...

The plan is to build 8X Labhorns, already have two finished :). I am the proud owner of 6X Meyer Sound MSL3a tops.... Here are the specs: http://www.walkersound.co.uk/PDF/MSL-3.pdf

My question is, does anyone have experience with these and if so will the Meyers have a sufficient mid bass/kick section or do I need to build USB's? I know the specs say they go down to 75hz but these are some OLD speakers. Ideally I would like MSL4's (half the size) because building the USB's would be an easy solution. But the MSL3's are so tall and heavy that loading them on top of labs and usbs would be an impossibility.

If they suffice then I can throw them on top of labs and be done with it, if not (I know this is a stupid question) but is there any other configuration for the usbs? I know you're supposed to ground stack labs, then USB's, then tops but what If i run 4 labs a side can I put 2 USB's on either SIDE or is this a no no?

Before you ask, I'm having a hard time selling the MSL3's and I don't have $$$ to buy new tops. And i haven't had a chance to listen to the MSL's yet because I have to wire up an EP4 connection which I've never worked with before. I'm also in the states just FYI.

Advice would be much appreciated!
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 7:15am
so, you are the proud owner of the MSL3's, but are trying to sell them and have never heard them??

I would suggest you build your subs, get your tops properly powered ( i take it you do have the processors?) and take a sensible view on it once you have got the whole system together. Then you can answer your own question.

“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Farquaad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farquaad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 7:22am
Fair enough.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 9:14am
Yes - you definitely need to get hold of the M-3A controller (or 2 for stereo system - and if possile, a couple of Crest 5850´s to power the cabs) and then take a listen.   Smile

They are very good, albeit heavy - and efficient cabs, that have amazing 'throw' and do really sound great.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Farquaad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farquaad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 10:58am
Understood! I have two M3A processor for stereo sound. I also have 4X Mackie M1400i amps to power these. Hopefully they have enough juice to push these. I just need to find someone to wire these up. Will keep you guys updated. 
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 11:46am
Those Makies aren't the best BUT they are a start which means you will be able to make some noise which is the important part.

USBs could be stacked next to Labs no problem if you are worried about stacking it all up. Going up generally looks neater. You may find once you have got them out on a few gigs you can get the hang of stacking things up with a few helpers. A good way is to use an amp rack is an intermediary step. So lift MSL onto amp rack, then onto sub, then onto kick. Literally like a step by step process.

I'd change the EP4 connectors over to speakon as they are an industry standard. Unless you already have EP4 cables?

Understanding the signal routing of a sound system if foundation knowledge so you need to do some research and teach yourself this to get yourself going.

Get the labs out, stack an MSL on top, figure out the wiring, fire it up and see what you think. If you are not happy then maybe look at building kick bins.

Farquaad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farquaad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 7:37pm
Ah! Thank you for answering my question about the kick! Didn't know if that would be a problem (sonically) if they were placed next to each other. Will have to experiment. 

If the mackies are meh, then what would be the best amplifier for the job? Crest 4801? Id love to simplify and just used 1 or two amps for all six!

I've never worked with biamped speakers as well (bit of a noob) so it hard for me to grasp how to connect two amps (one for hi, one for lo) into one nl4 out without the use of an outboard panel.... Also the m3a processing requires that you have banana outs into your amp so it can measure the voltage to protect the drivers.... 
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 7:59am
One or two amps for all six is pushing it, unless you go for a couple of 4-channel amps, but anything decent will be expensive.

The Mackies are fine for the top end, but I´d get something a bit bigger for the mids. The Crest 5850 are just 7001´s with the gain structure adjusted for the MSL3´s, so the best, but maybe difficult to source these days. I see plenty of 7001´s on the bay, for example, so would buy a couple of those - or anything convenient for you with similar power output.

The sense signal for the processor just gets plugged in to the power amp outputs - no big problem if everything is loaded in the same rack.   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Farquaad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farquaad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 7:43pm
Respect earplug! Was gonna use 3x mackies for the mids of the Meyers, one off each side of each amp (which is 400 watts and also what Meyer recommends) but everyone keeps saying they just can't keep up. 

So the sense leads go out from m3a to amp output, then do you plug another set of bananas in behind that?? 
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 1:19pm
Yes, the bananas (or 5-Way Binding Posts) can be used in several ways - eg loosen and stick the cable in the hole provided!  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Farquaad Farquaad wrote:

I've never worked with biamped speakers as well (bit of a noob) so it hard for me to grasp how to connect two amps (one for hi, one for lo) into one nl4 out without the use of an outboard panel.... Also the m3a processing requires that you have banana outs into your amp so it can measure the voltage to protect the drivers.... 

It's fine to be a noob, there was a point where none of us had worked with a bi-amp speaker. If you want to run pro audio kit you will need to figure it out. If something ever breaks you need to know how its all works to figure out where it has gone wrong.

I would highly recommend making up a patch panel for an amp rack so you can pre-wire the rack with processors and amps then just have input and output connections ready to go.

I am not sure how the M3A's handle bass but you may need to consider how to process that if they only cover the mid tops.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 1:41pm
"I am not sure how the M3A's handle bass but you may need to consider how to process that if they only cover the mid tops."

All taken care of by the M-3A controller.

The system would usually be used with the Meyer 2 x 18" reflex bins (650-R2) and associated B-2EX controller.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>