FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pan/Tilt speed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pan/Tilt speed
    Posted: 04 June 2019 at 9:13pm
The p/t speed channel (used in vector programmes) was necessary in early dmx replay units such as the Martin 2510, because the expensive and thus limited amount of memory meant it wasn't possible to save anything other than snapshots of the dmx every so often, making fades impossible. So you used 'vector' programming instead.

Some cheap DMX desks have a low dmx refresh rate which means slow movements can appear jerky, in which case the p/t speed comes back into use.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2019 at 12:33pm
Cool.  Cheers.  It certainly hasn't caused me any problems not using it, so best leave it alone.

Now I just need to work out how to change to gobos...
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2019 at 12:30pm
Yes, its the speed the mirror moves from one position to another.
If you were using a cheap step controller you'd program 2 positions and it would snap between them.
The P/T speed would give you some control over how it got there.
With modern control systems the control is fairly redundant.
I seem to recall a lot of them were 0 fastest - 255 slowest so it would default to snapping if you didn't specifically set it.
So just leave it unused if that's how yours works.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2019 at 8:48pm
Hiya

So my adventures into the mysteries of DMX are progressing well - I'm getting my lights to do what I want, when I want most of the time.  I could just do with a pointer on one thing...

Channel 3 of my scanners is described as Pan/Tilt speed.  I was just wondering what this means.  I mean I know it means how fast the mirror moves, but isn't that dictated by the fade times on the DMX controller?  Or is it that fade times only work for par cans/colour changers?

For instance, if I set two scenes exactly the same but with just the position of the mirror changed, is it the fade time that I would use to dictate how quickly the mirror moves from A-B or do I need to use this channel?  If I need to use this channel, then does it need to be the same for Scene A and B?  Is it Scene A that sets the speed with which the mirror will move to position B? 

All help gratefully received!
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
 Post Reply Post Reply