Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ideas for a system... up to 500 people...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ideas for a system... up to 500 people...
    Posted: 10 June 2019 at 1:21pm
Hi all,

I'm in the process of building a system over the summer.

The system is meant for up to 500 people at most, and will be used mainly for outdoor events.

For the tops, I plan to buy commercially available ones. I'm thinking the Orbits Neo 4 from Soundgear. 4-6 of those.

I'm a dub head, and I've always loved the look of the scoops, so the Super Scoop is on my radar. But I have also looked at the Paraflex C-2E 1x18". The Paraflex is tuned to 40hz though, that doesn't seem like it will supply proper bass for dub?

I'm also looking to add kick bins to the system, not sure which ones yet.

Any help and suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Maze - 10 June 2019 at 1:22pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 2:20pm
Are you building yourself or paying a builder?

If the latter, shout Workroom Industries for Polar Bear Scoops. It’s a very refined design that can be pushed very hard without concern. Technically it behaves more as a front loaded horn without a rear chamber, like the Bassmaxx Z5.

It’s what Dub Smugglers and Sinai use.
Maze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 2:40pm
I'm not building myself, I will hire a woodworker whom I will supply the plans.

I'd love to do the Polar Bears but i'm afraid I'm all the way in China, it will be too costly to have them shipped here :(

I was actually looking for the polar bear plans, I even got in contact with Sinai sound system that I know runs them, but told me you can only get them from Dub Smugglers.

Btw, my budget is about 13.000 - 16.000 GBP, but I'll have to get amps etc as well within this budget. Amps and other gear like DSP I plan to buy second hand.
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 3:22pm
Why buy amps and dsp second hand. Go to the factories in china...lol. You will get them cheaper than we can.
In bass no one can hear you scream!
Maze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 3:54pm
Really? Shocked

Any particular ones you would recommend?

I was offered some LabGruppen FP10000Q for 1700GBP used. Was thinking of getting those maybe.

Btw, I was told it would be better to use amps with built in DSP instead of having a seperate DSP. Is this true?

Also, I'm still new to this. What else would I need in the amp-rack to run the system. (other than the amplifiers and the DSP)

Edited by Maze - 10 June 2019 at 3:59pm
Darkstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 7:26pm
FP10000Q for 1700GBP used sounds ok to me, but do keep in mind a copy of those costs around 1150-1300GBP and will yeld very close to identical performance. Personally, I'd still go for originals if I could.

As for particular brands Sanway is located in China and makes these, I have a FP14000 of theirs and it never failed me.

Last but not least, amps with integrated dsp should have better limiting and might offer advanced features such as real time impedance and others (mostly Powersoft). However, we're talking 4000-6000EUR amps and if you get a high end dsp the benefit is quite marginal.

Edited by Darkstar - 10 June 2019 at 7:33pm
Bass =/= Enough
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Maze Maze wrote:

Really? Shocked

Any particular ones you would recommend?

Have a look at the T.D. Taichee EX 3400 and 3600. Good solid amps that have done the job for me (and a couple of friends).

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Maze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 4:35pm
Thanks for the heads up, because that is still some good savings considering I was preparing to buy 3 of those amps.

3 amps is what I'm planning to run 4-6 scoops/paraflex subs + kicks and tops.

I'll check out the TD ones too.

I have two contacts for 2nd hand stuff. Basically they have warehouses full of used club gear. Powersoft, Turbo Sound, Funktion 1, etc.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Maze Maze wrote:

But I have also looked at the Paraflex C-2E 1x18". The Paraflex is tuned to 40hz though, that doesn't seem like it will supply proper bass for dub?

Any help and suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'm going to build two (normal) Type-C cabs, these are tuned at 35 Hz and can be loaded with the 21SW152 without changing dimensions. Default driver is the 18DS115 which is also nice (and I have one for sale might you be interested Cool).
Maze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 5:22am
Originally posted by Darkstar Darkstar wrote:

...get a high end dsp the benefit is quite marginal.

What would be a recommended DSP?
Maze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 5:24am
Also, I'm looking to buy wood for the cabinets I'm building. What wood is recommended? I know about Baltic Birch Plywood, and for thickness 18mm or whatever the plans states. But any specific plywood I should look for.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 1:01pm
I think that marine ply is the best - but also more expensive. Then Baltic/birch ply. It will obviously depend on what you can actually get over there. Russian ply??

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>