Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Urei 1603 mixer issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7okai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Urei 1603 mixer issues
    Posted: 14 June 2019 at 2:49pm
Hi! I recently bought a broken Urei 1603 mixer of gumtree. I was hoping it'd be an easy fix, but so far I haven't been able to make it work. So I was hoping on your advice how to fix the issue. :)

None of the 4 input channels gives any output to the master. When I give input signal to the return channel I do get sound though, both through the master and the booth outputs of the mixer.

The LEDs of input channel 1 and 4 are permanently lid, which they do should when having input. Channel 1 is permanently orange and channel 5 always red (as seen on the pic).

The headphone section also doesn't seem to be working, I only hear a loud hum.

This is also strange: you can turn the master, and the output meter goes up and down as shown on this video:  https://imgur.com/a/s9Tj38T 

Would any of you have an idea what the issue might be? Or where to start when looking for the problem? I've opened it up, but inside it seems to look fine, no obvious broken parts or burning marks.

Edited by 7okai - 14 June 2019 at 2:57pm
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2019 at 3:01pm
Is it sticky inside and smeling of lager?

A drink splilt into a mixer is very common and can create issue like you describe by shorting out the circuits probably in multiple places.

Do you have electronic skills? if not abandon your dreams of opening it up to find a scorched fuse  that is the only thing wrong with it.

If you have plenty of time (and no money to get someone who knows what they're doing to repair it) you could strip it down, wash the boards down., dry completely (leave for a week in a hot place) then rebuild and try again. You might get lucky but the chances are its somthing else wrong.

Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
7okai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7okai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2019 at 3:17pm
Thanks! I do have some basic knowledge about electronics but I am not super experienced yet. I have fixed some gear here and there, small issues, but would still call myself a beginner. But unfortunately for me all the fuses were ok. LOL

There are no signs there has been any liquid inside though, all the boards seem to be in good condition. 
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2019 at 4:38pm
Maybe suggests something around the crossfader, not familiar with the signal flow of that mixer but it is definitely a point to check between all input channels feeding to the master. There may one summing op-amp or similar that is toasted and not letting any of the channel signals through. You really need a scope and a test signal to debug this. At a pinch you could inject a 50Hz signal and trace that through with a multimeter set to AC V
 Post Reply Post Reply