Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RCF lF15N401 ported enclosure upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suparub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RCF lF15N401 ported enclosure upgrade
    Posted: 30 June 2019 at 8:41am
Hi everyone, new here ! happy to be back on a forum, reminds me the good old times Smile

I have built a ported enclosure thanks via BassBoxPro for my RCF lF15N401, but after some use, I encounter problems : 

- The PVC Horn rattles : very bad for audio experience
- I understand that I am not getting the best of this driver at a same power delivery (Max SPL / frequenicy range) shame !

So on, I'm would like to build a better enclosure. Any advice of a full plywood vented design (I don't want to use any plastic anymore) ? I am open to anything as long as it's not do big and not so heavy. The driver is composed a neodymium magnet so it's supposed to be efficient in a small enclosure

Weight is a critical issue, I need to be as light as possible while aiming to get the best of the driver SPL  / frequency range it can deliver.

Here the driver's specs : https://www.lautsprechershop.de/pdf/rcf/lf15n401.pdf
Here are pictures of the actual enclosure, with plans from BassBox

PS : I have already been looking for Tapped Horn design, which looks great (the THAM15 seem fantastic), but I want to explore more simpler bass reflex designs before deciding.

Thanks in advance for the help !

Edited by suparub - 30 June 2019 at 8:50am
suparub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suparub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2019 at 9:17am
By the way Iv'e already start looking and thinking about these kind of designs, the BIG question is : How can I adapt / optimize them to this specific driver ?

Edited by suparub - 30 June 2019 at 9:18am
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2019 at 10:39am
Just modify it to so the net internal volume (so less handles, driver, and port) is what you deem optimal from bass box pro / winisd / hornsresp and the port is the right size.

Its about you choosing the balance of size/frequency/output that you want from that driver by playing with the volume and tuning (port size).  

Id model it as the plan, then change the parameters to see if i could get something better suited.  

Thats pretty much it.  
suparub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suparub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2019 at 6:09am
Got it, thanks :) I am now looking for an "open source" vented design I could modify for this driver
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2019 at 6:27am
How about something like Tham15?  Its not ported but tapped horn enclosure, giving MUCH more output compared to compact ported enclosure. 

suparub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suparub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2019 at 7:08am
Actually Im going for it or for the ROAR15 Tonskulus :) I just wanted check if there was other more simple design but I seems to have found it 
 Post Reply Post Reply