Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

QSC 2450 & 2 x 600w subs ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: QSC 2450 & 2 x 600w subs ?
    Posted: 03 July 2019 at 6:07pm
Hi

Probably a dumb question, but worth asking to avoid popped subs.

I am currently running a Driverack PA+ with a QSC 2450 for my subs, but I am running at 8ohms, and 2 channels so I am probably straining the amp pushes out only pushes out 500watts max.

At 4ohms bridged the amp woudl "see " 1200 watts but can deliver twice that . I am thinking a setting on teh limiter of -1db ceiling woudl be sufficient to protect my speakers, but before I go cook them , can anyone advise if 2x wattage is far too much...clearly relying on stting eth vol at 44% is not goignt o allow fro clipping at source.

Radius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 6:25pm
Sorry about the typos, I am not a secretary as you probably guessed :)
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 8:24pm
Just keep the amp out of clip and your speakers will be fine (as long as you're not playing long sustained low bass notes!). Smile
Radius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 11:47pm
It Is drum and bass / dub we play so there would be a few long subs... any ideas- my guess is limiting threshold, but making sure there are still peaks or we get a dc condition which is not good for a speaker needing AC ?
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2019 at 10:20pm
The RMX2450 is not designed to run heavy bass into 2R for long periods.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2019 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by Radius Radius wrote:

It Is drum and bass / dub we play so there would be a few long subs... any ideas- my guess is limiting threshold, but making sure there are still peaks
Set the limiter right at the threshold of amp clipping in 2ch mode and you are about as protected as it gets. If that doesn't provide enough output add more of the same(boxes and amps) until it does.

Originally posted by Radius Radius wrote:

or we get a dc condition which is not good for a speaker needing AC ?
No... there will never be any appreciable amount of DC from a properly operating amplifier no matter the limiting setting.
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2019 at 7:44am
4 ohm bridge is a last resort option IMHO. I wouldn’t plan to do it.

Plus 2 x 500w 8r drivers is 1000w at 4r anyway so the amp will be working fairly hard.

Save up your penny’s and buy a bass amp. Use the QSC for comps or DJ mons.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
Radius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2019 at 9:17am
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

4 ohm bridge is a last resort option IMHO. I wouldn’t plan to do it.

Plus 2 x 500w 8r drivers is 1000w at 4r anyway so the amp will be working fairly hard.

Save up your penny’s and buy a bass amp. Use the QSC for comps or DJ mons.

I see eth p3000 seems to be pretty popular or the crown 5000s ? according to one of the threads I am looking at. the MC2 E45 looks like a contender , if the venue has the right power supply...which is a whole new ballgame... :)

Thanks everyone for the input- very useful ! Defo useful as of course like any small PA I would hope to grow the number of cabs etc.. :)

Edited by Radius - 05 July 2019 at 10:24am
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2019 at 3:15pm
Just a thought, why not acquire a second 2450 & use one on each sub, bridged? Spec sheet says 1300w into 8 ohm bridged, 20 Hz-20kHz.
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious
Radius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2019 at 2:19pm
i like the idea of bridging a second 2450, but I'm also wondering if theRMX 4050HD is designed to do what I need.. Otherwise I have 2 rmx 1450's which I think wouldn't enjoy being driven like that. I was saving the second 1450 for a pair of 450w cubo kick we're planning to build as our first cab,bridged 1.4kw at4 ohm and the 2 speakers wired in series to get4bohm.  I wonder if the 4050 cost is so close to a p3000 that it'd be no point .  eventually we want to get 2 more subs which I'd like to build the cabs for, so it's all useful stuff to consider along with storage, transport, and getting an audience 😂
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2019 at 6:06pm
What cabinet design are your subs? Why do you think you need kicks? What mid/tops do you have? If you want one amp to do your subs, I’d be looking at QSC 5050. Some more info on the rest of your system would help to determine the most useful amps for now and in the future. Your 1450s are only useful for comp driver duty or for very small mid/top, unless you bridge them, then they could run 1 8ohm medium format mid/top, at a push.
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious
Radius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2019 at 11:17am
Originally posted by TMH Music TMH Music wrote:

What cabinet design are your subs? Why do you think you need kicks? What mid/tops do you have? If you want one amp to do your subs, I’d be looking at QSC 5050. Some more info on the rest of your system would help to determine the most useful amps for now and in the future. Your 1450s are only useful for comp driver duty or for very small mid/top, unless you bridge them, then they could run 1 8ohm medium format mid/top, at a push.

So we have 2 x rcf 1201's mid tops- I think they would be sufficient with 4subs and 2 mids. The reason I think we need mids is because we are obsessed with bass, adn want to provide a quality sub /bass sound.

The subs we have look like std ported design. The speakers are P Audio P15 2226 drivers. When we bought them we were led to believe they were 600w..but looking at the specs I feel a bit dumb as they are 1000w AES, so are easily going to handle 2.4kw bridged if they are in series...the question is more will the amp :) but defo I am underdriving everything right now. We did a party few weeks ago, and to be fair the amps did not even get warm after 15 hours of trying to push out max vol......but it took a while to get a eq to bring half decent bass..

in fact the P audios are on offer at £135 at blue aran so I am well tempted to buy 2 more and build those other cabs I am planning on...( my partners in crime will bollock me when they read this... :) )

Just going through this process of asking is proving really useful, and I think I am understanding more that the rms is not the max a speaker can handle, but you want to consider say 50-100% more as head room ?

Edited by Radius - 07 July 2019 at 11:19am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>