Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Duran Audio

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Duran Audio
    Posted: 13 July 2019 at 11:29pm
My mate and I are DJ-ing two rooms of the same function tonight and both have PA’s put in by an AV company. 

His is Duran Audio powered and I’ve not heard of them. Just wondering if there’s any opinions. I might not get to listen to it (mind you, if speeches carry on much longer nor will anyone else)

Edited by djgorey - 14 July 2019 at 7:23pm
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2019 at 10:13am
A quick google shows me that they’re JBL’s Pro range. 

I had a little listen before my set started and wasn’t keen. The tops seemed, to my completely inexperienced and amateur ears, to be a little muddy. We didn’t have any control over the settings - just plugged in our decks and I didn’t listen for long, so I could be giving them a disservice, but my initial impression was my Ohm tops are clearer. 

Didn’t seem to bother the 100 drunken VIPs though; gig was mental! 
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2019 at 3:57pm
The "duran audio" dual 6,5" line array is the worst vertical array i have ever seen from a pro pa company...
but glad your gig went well nonetheless!
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2019 at 4:13pm
My mate was doing that one because the guests were VIP’s - I had 700 “normal” people and a d&b line array. The engineer was even nice enough to sort me out a monitor which was much appreciated as, having been set up just off the stage and directly under the speakers, I couldn’t hear a thing!
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2019 at 6:29pm
The old Duran Audio, did some of the very first "stearable" column speakers, so DSP to engage interaction/cancellation between adjoining drivers in columns, so to aim sound.

Remember a ISCE lecture that the owner of Duran gave in about 2005ish which explained it all, and a gave a demo, to prove it worked. Designed primarily for reverberant concourses, so the sound only goes to ears, and doesn't bounce of granite floors, metal roofs and glass walls.

They also did more traditional boxes, AXIS IIRC, using some pretty high end components, and done quite well.

Worked well enough for them to be bought by JBL a few years ago.

Pretty damn clever for their time, and may well have got Martin thinking about applying it to MLA scale.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2019 at 7:10pm
Yeah these were Axys on Saturday night, but definitely current JBL/Harmon ones. 

Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2019 at 9:16pm
Duran Audio was one of dutch homegrown PA-brands, together with the likes of Sound-Projects and Stage accompany. in the 80's and till mid-90's these brands could be found everywhere in the benelux. 

Stage accompany got bankrupted and restarted loads of times untill the chief engineers started Alcons audio, Sound Projects found its niche and is still doing fine and Duran audio/Axys somehow got more and more into the "real" public adress and created some nice beamsteering techniques which popped up everywhere but still the company was rather small with an ageing owner. So at one day Harman rang the doorbell with some cash in hand......

The Axys speakers were true workhorses and still many axys source sets can be found with mobile dj's over here, they just keep on going and sound nice enough, not really bright and nu true sub but enough for your average weddding and so on...
Racks&Stacks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racks&Stacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2019 at 10:53pm
Older duran audio axys speakers fueled much of the berlin mobile party scene in the late 00s, until another rental house invested in f1.

they were one of the first brands to put amps in the speakers, used high quality drivers like TAD, and often weighed far more than their dimensions would suggest, lol
 Post Reply Post Reply