Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bass Face db4.3 channel separation + running hot
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bass Face db4.3 channel separation + running hot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bass Face db4.3 channel separation + running hot
    Posted: 07 August 2019 at 3:30pm
Ey up,

A couple of years ago I bought two Bass Face db4.2s on recommendation from people here and other forums for outdoors 12v use. They were pretty good except the RCA inputs we naff and broke at the drop of a hat (or amp).  One was lost/stolen and the other is not really usable due to the the above issue.

So this year I went to try and get a new db4.2 only to find they're not really available anymore having been replaced by the [slightly more pricey] db4.3.  First I mistakenly bought the class AB db2.1 which I assume will not get much mileage out of batteries due to the less efficient topology. Forks out another bill for the db4.3 and both arrived this week.

Two issues: first is less surprising as there were similar issues with the 4.2, which is that the channel separation is... well, i'm not sure there is any. Have two Hz Sb600 cones attached to the bridged channels 1+2 and 3+4 and killing the signal on one of the phono inputs has results in less overall volume but it's really quite hard (if not impossible) to tell which sub is getting powered as the cone movement is near enough identical (might be a bigger difference if they weren't stacked; haven't bothered moving them yet.)  For sub this isn't much of a problem but I'd have imagined they do want to achieve stereo for mid+treble. Perhaps there's less isolation between the front and rear channels, which would make some design sense if still a bit disappointing.

The second issue is that it seems to run remarkably hot. In fact I'm pretty sure for the same volume it's running hotter than the db2.1 class-AB which doesn't make much sense. This has me a bit worried about draw on batteries

Does any have experience with this new model? I'm very happy they made the inputs (and switches) recessed, which should prevent the RCA plugs breaking and made me optimistic for other improvements, but the heating seems to be a regression from what I recall of the 4.2s.

Cheers,

Lauri
 Post Reply Post Reply