Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Powersoft Amplifier Set Up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAHS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powersoft Amplifier Set Up
    Posted: 13 August 2019 at 8:20pm
Hi all,

I have recently upgraded my power amplifiers to Powersoft and the non dsp versions, but there are some settings I’m not sure of and having trouble finding relevant data to help.

My set up is:
2 x Powersoft K3s which run 4 X OHM TRS212 mid/highs
2 X Powersoft K8s which run 4 X OHM TRS218 subs 

The DSP I’m using is 2 X DBX Venu360s, 1 for left and 1 for right.

What I’m trying to find out is on the Powersoft amplifiers what do I need to set my maximum output voltage and maximum mains current to? And anything or anywhere which may help to understand this would be great.

Any help would be awesome, thanking you in advance. 
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 1:23pm
Oops...

Edited by Earplug - 14 August 2019 at 1:25pm
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
el chupacabra View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el chupacabra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2019 at 3:14pm
maximum mains current is going to be based on where you're using them and available power distro. if you're on 13a plugs only you could run one each per k8 and and the k3s on 1 or 2 and limit them to match.

voltage output, you can reduce for the trs212. I haven't looked at the trs212 specs in a few years but I imagine 100-120v is more than enough for passive, for biamping perhaps knock the comps down to 70v. the trs218 you can probably leave fully open at the 169v a k8 peaks out at.

I haven't used any dbx dsp in a long time so couldn't comment on their gain structure/output limiting.
Bryan M View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2019 at 9:02pm
Can you give me driver wattage and impedance information and I will help you out.

B.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2019 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Bryan M Bryan M wrote:

Can you give me driver wattage and impedance information and I will help you out.

B.

Subs are only 2x 650W rated drivers with fairly light cones, 4 ohm nominal. I haven’t seen the impedance curve but what I know about the response at higher levels and the excursion damage that seems to have been fairly common with those boxes I would suggest maybe using the soft clip output voltage limiter to around 130v, and then use the DSP limiters to handle RMS and peak voltage below that. Perhaps 70v RMS and suitable overshoot or gain compensated peak limiter, which is dependent on the amp input sensitivity.

I wouldn’t touch the mains current limiter unless you know you trip breakers in the venue, or it’s 100% B curve in the mains distribution. Best to find that out in a quick soundcheck and avoid leaving your amp on the lowest current setting. We haven’t changed any of ours in six years and haven’t ever popped a fuse, even using a 13A adapter chain and playing heavier music.

Edited by toastyghost - 21 August 2019 at 9:56pm
Bryan M View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2019 at 10:19pm
The amplifires are non DSP versions so i guess he's just looking at clip/rail voltages. 

As toasty says a good place to start with the tops would be 130v.

Any more information on the subs you have would be great.

B.
PAHS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAHS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2019 at 8:00pm
Hi all, many thanks for all your replies, really helpful. Can I just clarify, that are we saying for the 

212s - are we saying that it would be best to limit the output voltage to around 130V and to leave the mains current limiter wide open?

218s - are we saying to leave the output voltage wide open and leave the mains current limiter also wide open?

Here are the specs for the 212s

Here are the specs for the 218s

Also, another question, what is the best way to power these amplifiers? 99% of the time we play fairly large venues and most always run off 13a plugs, can anyone recommend a suitable distro to power the amplifiers from a 13a supply?

Many thanks all.
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2019 at 9:18pm
If its cast drivers, then 1200 a sub, and 500w a 212 is good. That's Inc headroom. Don't overpower or clip the fk and you'll be fine. Don't bother biamp the 212.

Edited by Digbethdave - 09 September 2019 at 9:21pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2019 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Digbethdave Digbethdave wrote:

If its cast drivers, then 1200 a sub, and 500w a 212 is good. That's Inc headroom. Don't overpower or clip the fk and you'll be fine. Don't bother biamp the 212.

Not at all, peaks are up to 4x the AES rating. It’s better to have a larger amp to avoid clipping, and limit it correctly.
PAHS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAHS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2019 at 8:02pm
What about powering the amplifiers?

Any help guidance is really appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply