Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ev dvx 18" drivers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ev dvx 18" drivers
    Posted: 08 September 2019 at 4:51pm
Hi all.
Has anyone had any experience with these 18" sub drivers from EV
There seem to be a lot of them available these days on Ebay and suchlike for a little less than £100

I've had great success with the DVX 12" low mids and was wondering how these drivers would fair in horn loaded sub cabs. At the price, I'm thinking these could maybe be put to good use as compact 4 x 18 isobariks or something to get a lot of low down response in relatively compact cabs.

Thoughts?

Are these even genuine?

example:

jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2019 at 12:09pm
^ They look well made,usual EV quality, but motor looks quite small, i would of thought they are more woofers than outright subs?  Cant find much info online, looks like EV use them in a reflex cabinet?
Be seeing you.
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2019 at 1:16pm
Seems to be pretty good quality standard 18 inch driver.  For sure there are heavier ones available but for the price, looks like a good deal. 

Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2019 at 9:45pm

The Electro-voice DVX 3180 replaced the Electro-voice EVX 180B. Electro-voice claims 1000 watts continuous on the DVX 3180. The TS Parameters are not available as they were designed to perform in the Electro-voice Phoenix PX 2181. As you will need the TS Parameters, you can either contact Electro-voice for the Parameters or, have someone measure the TS Parameters for you.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2019 at 11:03pm
I've just had to repair a couple, fitted to the ETX18SP bass bin.

I had to check to see if they were neodymium or ferrite, since they are very lightweight. Seems they are conventional design :-/

Kevin

North Staffordshire

Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2019 at 6:10am
I have seen some EV cabs having cheap eminence oem drivers (or at least they looked like eminence chassis / magnet assy).  Sorry Eminence but there are much better budget drivers from china :( 

Nothing wrong with good conventional design, just a bit heavier. 

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2019 at 10:25am
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

I've just had to repair a couple, fitted to the ETX18SP bass bin.

I had to check to see if they were neodymium or ferrite, since they are very lightweight. Seems they are conventional design :-/

The DVX 3180 predates the DVX 3180A which, is offered in the ETX 18SP

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2019 at 10:41pm
ok, didnt see the 'a' at the end. Bit silly of them to do that if they're such different speakers.
I did fix some DVX3150's a couple of years ago (I assume the 15in version) and those had failed the same way, IE braids burned through.

PS..do you know what's changed about the 'A' versions?

Edited by kedwardsleisure - 10 September 2019 at 10:44pm
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2019 at 2:25am

It was only when I visited Electro-voice's website, I noticed the "A" moniker on the 3180 loudspeaker featured with the ETX 18SP that was not stated on their Phoenix PX 2181.

Knowing the history of Electro-voice, I would speculate the 3180 A is a revised version of the 3180 from a TS-Parameters perspective. Electro-voice used the same principal with the old EVX 180. Electro-voice offered the EVX 180, EVX 180 A in addition to, the EVX 180 B within a 30-year period.

The recone kits are usually interchangeable amongst the chassis however, the performance or should I say the tonality will differ from the original previous version.

It is similar to their old EVM 15L and EVM 15B. If you recone a faulty EVM 15L with a modern recone kit, you will have the tone of the EVM 15B residing in the EVM 15L chassis.   

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2019 at 9:35am
Elliot, are the drivers still assembled in the US? I know the trend seems to be "let's get the cheaper models made in China".
Be seeing you.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2019 at 5:30pm

If your not buying their upper mid line or top of the line products, you can guarantee it was Made in China. In the States, there are a lot of people that put cost before performance. As long as it looks aesthetically pleasing, they will buy it. A large portion of users do not care what's inside the box providing the loudspeaker grill sports their favourite Professional Audio Logo.

What makes matters worse, there are so many used upper mid line to top of the line Professional Audio gear on the market (Ebay) that sound companies are selling at a very low price that the nowadays generation will not buy. Many are so conditioned to buy new, they rather buy a bottom of the line new product than a top of the line used product.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply