Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Light control help please!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light control help please!!
    Posted: 10 September 2019 at 12:10am
Apologies for going a bit off topic!! I’m after recommendations for a DMX light controller. Needs to be easy to operate, with the ability to program a few scenes; up to 50 would be nice. This is only going to be used to control LED flood fixtures, no moving heads or intelligent effects. Thoughts gratefully appreciated from folks.
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2019 at 6:12am
If you have a laptop to use, I can recommend the free QLC+ software with an ENTTEC USB-DMX dongle. I was a complete novice to DMX, but have managed to get good results quickly using it. There’s a series of tutorial videos on YouTube that explain everything in logical steps. I really like it.
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2019 at 10:16am
How / who is going to be operating it?

If its bar staff etc. just setting the mood in a venue, you need a front end that just has a set of 'scene' buttons or they'll be constantly getting into program mode and a mess.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2019 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

How / who is going to be operating it?

If its bar staff etc. just setting the mood in a venue, you need a front end that just has a set of 'scene' buttons or they'll be constantly getting into program mode and a mess.

The operator will be someone with a bit of technical knowledge. The rig is actually going to be used for my magic shows!! We go into various venues, mainly village hall type venues, set up sound and lights, do the show, then break down, so I’ll be programming a few scenes and my techie will then just execute the program. The simpler the better really. I’ve got a Chauvet obey 4 at the moment, but the show is getting a bit more complex, I’ve been expanding my rig, and I would like to make the techie’s workload as light as possible (no pun intended!!).
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2019 at 7:39pm
Hi guys Once I got into it, showmagic. Is good. And there’s a free version. 
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2019 at 2:15pm
Mydmx by adj is pretty simple to use for led pars.
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2019 at 11:55am
Does that prog sync with backing tracks like showmagic ?

Boxes-R-Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxes-R-Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2019 at 12:38am
Poos look at Chamsys Magic-Q with a crappy touch screen pc (old till) off ebay, once programmed has teh kinda interface bar staff can run.

Kinda Been there, Kinda done that, YOU COULDN'T handle my bar bill!
AUDIO HABIT View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUDIO HABIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2019 at 2:39am
Originally posted by Digbethdave Digbethdave wrote:

Mydmx by adj is pretty simple to use for led pars.

great for simple shows that software 
https://www.facebook.com/fxstageproductions
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2019 at 7:57am
Avolites Titan Dongle

It’s cheap and most people floating around know how to use the Titan software by now. Making support easy to come by. Plus professional YouTube videos.

Plus it’s powerful enough to do pretty much what ever you want.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2019 at 8:37am
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

Avolites Titan Dongle

It’s cheap and most people floating around know how to use the Titan software by now. Making support easy to come by. Plus professional YouTube videos.

Plus it’s powerful enough to do pretty much what ever you want.

It has really crap room for growth though. It jumps from that dongle to a very expensive wing. I would always argue that Chamsys has a much better learning curve and growth progression if you’re going for one of the big brands - we own both Avo and Chamsys and newbies have a way better time with the Chamsys training/videos/utilities.

Execute layers also allow for way more ‘on the fly’ stuff than Avo’s cumbersome FX engine editing.

That said, neither are particularly idiot friendly for an install with unskilled users. For that, hideous as it is, the likes of ShowCAD, or even Lightjockey (ewww) and custom, clearly labelled pokable buttons for looks are best.

Or go for a hardware solution with physical buttons and a local chase storage, Showtec make some decent units for the price. If you don’t need any moving stuff now or in the future then you can also get good controllers from ETC, Zero88 and Elation Onyx.

Edited by toastyghost - 16 December 2019 at 8:41am
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2019 at 11:26am
Chamsys is horrible IMHO. 

A few years ago Chamsys was starting too make waves, personally now. NAH
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>