Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

QSC PL380 vs QSC PL9 vs Powersoft K20

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2019 at 9:14am
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Originally posted by fat_brstd fat_brstd wrote:

I use the PL380 to drive my subs, I really like it, loads of power, spanks PD1850 right to their limits and most importantly sounds clean and good. I regularly run 6 drivers off it on a 32amp supply and have never had it pop a breaker even when being drive right up to clip.

Personally I think it sounds a lot better than the K20 which I have also played with. TBH I have never been a fan of the Powersoft K series when it comes to tone, oodles of power but the tone is just not for me.

Have to agree with 99% of that, PL380 on proper mains/genny can properly spank 6x PD1851s, with warmth and tone.

K20 loses bit of warmth, when you play > 2 "8 ohm" cabs a side.

But K20 is possibly the most likely amp to survive heavy gig, at 4x cabs a side.

Notice I didn't mention terms like 4 ohm/2 ohm stereo, as most cabs are never 8 ohm exactly.

If I've got 4 x "8ohm" cabs to run from a K20.......I'll put them all on a single channel personally 
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2019 at 4:03pm
Have to disagree with last 3 comments. Used a QSC PL 380 vs a Powersoft K 10, and was totally dissatisfied with the 380. As Elliott said, this company now buys into the Behringer type wattage specs. and it shows.

As far as I am concerned, QSC has no real heritage in reliable very high power amplifiers, compared to crown, Lab Gruppen and Powersoft.
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 2:04am
Originally posted by taurusty taurusty wrote:

Have to disagree with last 3 comments. Used a QSC PL 380 vs a Powersoft K 10, and was totally dissatisfied with the 380. As Elliott said, this company now buys into the Behringer type wattage specs. and it shows.

As far as I am concerned, QSC has no real heritage in reliable very high power amplifiers, compared to crown, Lab Gruppen and Powersoft.

I have no experience with the K10 but a lot of what you are saying  about the pl380 is objectively wrong. The PL380 exceeds its specs, putting out over 2900 watts at 4 ohm @ 40hz before clip while stating 2500 in its spec sheet. https://www.abeltronics.co.uk/amptesting/amp-meet-three.php . The pl380 not some new amp that has a questionable reliability and power output. It has existed for more than 10 years, people have a lot of experience with it; it almost has a heritage of its own. This ignores the fact that the PL9.0, RMX5050 and mx3000a exist. 

I cant comment on your personal experience using it, but I guess sound is subjective. 

Edited by citizensc - 19 November 2019 at 2:08am
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 3:37am
Originally posted by citizensc citizensc wrote:

I have no experience with the K10 but a lot of what you are saying  about the pl380 is objectively wrong. The PL380 exceeds its specs, putting out over 2900 watts at 4 ohm @ 40hz before clip while stating 2500 in its spec sheet. https://www.abeltronics.co.uk/amptesting/amp-meet-three.php . The pl380 not some new amp that has a questionable reliability and power output. It has existed for more than 10 years, people have a lot of experience with it; it almost has a heritage of its own. This ignores the fact that the PL9.0, RMX5050 and mx3000a exist. 

I cant comment on your personal experience using it, but I guess sound is subjective. 

The problem is likely this constant fixation on watts. Yes, an amp needs to be able to supply sufficient current to handle the number of cycles asked of it, but much more important is voltage swing and efficiency. Music is dynamic, we aren’t cooking food in a microwave or trying to light a room with a filament here.
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 6:48am
Powersoft K10 is better in every aspects than PL380.
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 11:21am
Forget them all, and get a LAB PLM. Works every time. Or FP if you dont like having your DSP in the amp.
They walk All over everything, so its a good investment.

End of discussion :)
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by FOO FOO wrote:

Forget them all, and get a LAB PLM. Works every time. Or FP if you dont like having your DSP in the amp.
They walk All over everything, so its a good investment.

End of discussion :)

How still they get bipolar power Si-transistors since no company making them anymore?
Does it have the usual LabGruppen's Switching Buck pre-regulator followed by a linear Class AB stage for signal smoothing, right?
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 3:58pm
I really dont care whats inside. They turn on every time i ask them to do so, and they never fail. Loads of power and control. Really good sound regardless of what you hook  them up with.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 6:13pm
"How still they get bipolar power Si-transistors since no company making them anymore?"

What? That´s an absurd statement!

Of course they are. Here are a few high power devices:-

No shortage there.

Edited by Earplug - 19 November 2019 at 6:14pm
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

"How still they get bipolar power Si-transistors since no company making them anymore?"

What? That´s an absurd statement!

I've been on this forum for far, far too long, and it's only in the last couple years that I've really started to see whose posts you can actually take with a very large pinch of salt
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2019 at 12:50am

QSC make good amplifiers however, you need to understand what the general public wants. That has always been the concept of QSC. They were the first manufacture to revolutionise our industry offering lightweight (Powerlight & PLX) amplifiers. Their amplifiers were also very tolerant when faced with low voltage which, is essential in parts of the world where voltage is very dodgy.

This is the most important thing that many of us tend to forget about amplifier manufactures. Their main objective is to attain the specified wattage with the lowest distortion possible. So, as technology moves forward, the distortion will be reduced from the previous models based on new innovative parts. For Mid to High frequencies this may be all in favour however, for bass it may not be wanted by some.

I recall a Crown Representative stated a decade ago after numerous complaints about the I tech 8000 not sounding as “Warm” (I know poor choice of words) as the MA 5000vz on a forum to just load the Itech down until it sounds like the Crown 5000vz. Although, a lot of users were not happy with the answer, there was some truth in his reply. The Itech had no parts of the Macro-Tech other than a logo stating “Crown.” The same thing applies to the QSC Powerlight 3 compared to the Powerlight.

The market today is powered speakers. Don't be surprise within a 10 year period many of these brands we tend to debate about merge with a loudspeaker manufacture and do away with their stand alone amplifiers altogether. Remember we are hitting a new decade and, a lot of things are going change in our market whether we like it or not.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2020 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by citizensc citizensc wrote:

Recently went to amp/driver test, and one thing I learned, bench testing amps with purely resistive load, proves nothing.

Edited by levyte357- - 26 August 2020 at 5:23pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>