Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Two Peavey CS1000x bridged vs QSC RMX4050HD stereo
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Two Peavey CS1000x bridged vs QSC RMX4050HD stereo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2019 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Fred_dibna Fred_dibna wrote:

Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

On subs what do you guys think between a QSC RMX4050HD running one sub per channel vs bridging a Peavey CS1000x on each sub? I have two RMX4050HD running four double 18" subs and was wondeirng whether finding four CS1000x and bridging them would sound better, the only problem I worry about is the Peavey amps are old, would having all four serviced be a good idea? Or is it best to stick with the RMX4050HD amps? 

I have a QSC 5050 for sale, that will sound much better than your 4050HD, on 4x subs.

PM me, if interested.

I'd not hear a difference because the RMX5050 specs stated it only outputs 200 watts RMS more per channel and that would yield an extra 0.4db output not even anywhere near noticeable. 

You answer your own question here. A bridged Peavey CS1000X is stated as 1000 watts at 8 ohms, which is 300 watts more than your 4050HD is offering to each driver currently. If you think that 200 watts is a negligible difference, then you're only going to be very disappointed with 300 watts extra, for a lot more weight, and pushing the Peavey amp to it's limits running in bridge mode.
Fred_dibna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2019 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

On subs what do you guys think between a QSC RMX4050HD running one sub per channel vs bridging a Peavey CS1000x on each sub? I have two RMX4050HD running four double 18" subs and was wondeirng whether finding four CS1000x and bridging them would sound better, the only problem I worry about is the Peavey amps are old, would having all four serviced be a good idea? Or is it best to stick with the RMX4050HD amps? 

I have a QSC 5050 for sale, that will sound much better than your 4050HD, on 4x subs.

PM me, if interested.

I'd not hear a difference because the RMX5050 specs stated it only outputs 200 watts RMS more per channel and that would yield an extra 0.4db output not even anywhere near noticeable. 

You answer your own question here. A bridged Peavey CS1000X is stated as 1000 watts at 8 ohms, which is 300 watts more than your 4050HD is offering to each driver currently. If you think that 200 watts is a negligible difference, then you're only going to be very disappointed with 300 watts extra, for a lot more weight, and pushing the Peavey amp to it's limits running in bridge mode.

But obviously you know that the RMX4050HD vs RMX5050 the difference in spl is negligible because they're the same manufacturer and series of amplifiers. But stated specs of power output can be inaccurate so comparing a bridged Peavey CS1000x into 4 ohms (not 8, I did mention my subs are dual 18 not single 18) vs an RMX4050HD in stereo there might be some difference. It's widely know the Peavey CS1000x can give as much as power as it's rated continuously all night and it's proper power for sub bass whereas can the RMX4050HD output the power continuously all night and at sub frequencies, i'm not sure. 

Two amps of exactly (or not far off) the same power output (according to specs) can sound different, I know this because I heard the difference between an RMX2450 running subs vs a PLX3002 running the same subs a few years ago. The difference in theory between the power ratings should only be about 1.4db extra spl output from the PLX3002 but the audible difference was quite big to be honest. That's different amp series though and different topology (I think that's the word used) because the RMX series is transformer and the PLX series is switch mode. 
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2019 at 6:32pm
Think your splitting hairs there mate. the difference aint going to be mind blowing. if your really after getting the most out of your cabs why not look for two more 4050HD's? 4000w into each cab at full chat is more than you need (obviously dont run at full volume, but will give ya plenty of  power + all the headroom you want.

Does anyone know the going rate for rmx4050's these days? I would have put them in the 300/400 range. Only guessing mind.

P.s. just seen on cs1000x pdf it outputs 1500w into 4r bridge. ---> https://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/80301955.pdf
Not really much of a change from the 4050 in stereo.

Edited by Mikkel - 17 September 2019 at 6:42pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2019 at 8:09pm
I think where the older amps are better is that they're more capable of outputting power continuously at 30 or 40hz whereas the newer amps struggle down that low unless it's a very expensive newer amp.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2019 at 7:28am

I think where the older amps are better is that they're more capable of outputting power continuously at 30 or 40hz whereas the newer amps struggle down that low unless it's a very expensive newer amp.

Cool, but your driver definitely can’t take continuous power of the level that even the RMX4050HD is rated at so it’s much of a muchness.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2019 at 9:55am
The subs are each loaded with two RCF L18P300 so they can take the power in stereo they subs with the FRC drivers are rated at 2,000 watts AES and the RMX4050HD outputs 1,400 per channel into 4 ohms. Plus music is dynamic not a continuous sinewave.

Edited by Fred_dibna - 18 September 2019 at 9:57am
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2019 at 10:42am
Sometimes sound dudes over complicate things.

Sounds like this is more of a hobby, than source of income for you.

RCF L18P300 are not thirsty drivers.

Sell your 4050HDs, and get pair of 5050s, and they will sufficiently/reliably power your cabs, to get you paid for gigs.

Many PA dudes who gig frequently, without large crew, would prefer E90/K20/FFA 10K.

Bridging 5x tonnes of 100 year old Peavey amps,  to drive 8x drivers, is just not how serious sound dudes do it, in 21st century.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2019 at 11:27am

The subs are each loaded with two RCF L18P300 so they can take the power in stereo they subs with the FRC drivers are rated at 2,000 watts AES and the RMX4050HD outputs 1,400 per channel into 4 ohms. Plus music is dynamic not a continuous sinewave.

I would suggest that you read this on power ratings for loudspeakers:
https://www.doctorproaudio.com/content.php?2260-loudpeaker-power-handling&langid=1

In short, your AES rating is calculated from an RMS voltage measurement taken from driving the speaker with a 40Hz to 400Hz pink noise signal, with a 12dB crest factor.

If you’re playing heavier, modern bass focused music then the speaker will approach thermal compression much sooner, due to heating.

A better thing to think about is average power, and ensuring that the amplifier can deliver peaks without clipping. In practice, this means that you would likely get slightly louder peaks from using the bridged amplifier, but the long term output would remain the same. You would of course also run the risk of more easily cooking your coils, if you are not careful with limiting and running the system accordingly.

It’s up to you if this is worth carrying ten tons of amplifier for. Personally, I think that would be much better served in carrying the same weight in more cabinets when more output is needed.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2019 at 1:33pm
"Two amps of exactly (or not far off) the same power output (according to specs) can sound different,"

Very true. A friend here swapped out his RAM BUX 5´s for Crest 8001´s and the difference was crazy - even though the RAM´s were (supposedly) far more powerful than the 8001´s. You don´t know until you try it.

Then again, it might just be more distortion...   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2019 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

"Two amps of exactly (or not far off) the same power output (according to specs) can sound different,"

Very true. A friend here swapped out his RAM BUX 5´s for Crest 8001´s and the difference was crazy - even though the RAM´s were (supposedly) far more powerful than the 8001´s. You don´t know until you try it.

Then again, it might just be more distortion...   Smile

Maybe that's why the old Peacey CS1000x amps sound so good because they suffer from more distortion so if two bridged CS1000x amps sound better than one RMX4050HD in dual mono one sub per channel it might be because the RMX4050HD has lower distortion. I mean the RMX4050HD I read was tested by Abeltronics to be able to continuously deliver it's rated power. 

Edited by Fred_dibna - 22 December 2019 at 6:26pm
djkeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2019 at 7:08pm
Nah Ive owned Peavey CS1000 I had four sold the lot and went to Crest CA12/18 which were the same in weight but more power. The CS's heavy and hopeless in these modern times,I was using PD186 and they struggled to drive them cutting out n everything so I could imagine what they would be like with hungry drivers. Further more if you play by myself you might stand a chance but if you were in with another sound you would definitely break down bless
Soundbite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2019 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by djkeet djkeet wrote:

Nah Ive owned Peavey CS1000 I had four sold the lot and went to Crest CA12/18 which were the same in weight but more power. The CS's heavy and hopeless in these modern times,I was using PD186 and they struggled to drive them cutting out n everything so I could imagine what they would be like with hungry drivers. Further more if you play by myself you might stand a chance but if you were in with another sound you would definitely break down bless

You're saying the CS1000x amps are hopeless nowadays, is that you're saying? Despite people saying they may be very old but they're still excellent on subs. If yours was cutting out then it's the first one i've read anyone had problems cutting out. Sometimes old is better in some ways, look at Technics SL1210mkII turntables there's a lot out there that are 30 years old and still working. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>