Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pioneer Mixers... unreliable ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pioneer Mixers... unreliable ?
    Posted: 14 September 2019 at 12:06pm
Hi All

I've always used Pioneer mixers in my Pirate radio studios , because apart from "over enthusiastic superstars" damaging the eq pots, they seem to be solid.

But since I have been learning the PA ropes, we are on Pioneer #2.

We've always bought second hand, cos we are not exactly minted. But as I said never a problem before...
First mixer , left kept cutting out- on turning on and off back to normal ( its not a Microsoft mixer ?!)

So we got a nice clean DJM 600 second hand...first gig not a flutter, sounds good etc, was on for 12 hours no worries.

Second gig in Dalston, and the darn thing suddenly goes quiet at hour 4..on turning on and off...back to normal..wtaf ( the the actual...)

Is this a heating issue, or should we consider getting an Allen and Heath zone 43 at the expense of being 1 speaker forwards in our expansion plans :)

Any similar experience with either very useful- seems like pioneers even in a coffin case are sensitive flowers !!!!

AKA the typo king...bear with me, my hands are big and the keyboard small....
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2019 at 1:22pm
Don’t buy the old shite, for a start. But it’s a piece of equipment that gets physically hammered for hours at a time every day. You will need to service it every now and then.

The choice of mixer depends on your DJs. If you’re in the pirate scene then perhaps it’s best to canvas your DJs if they’ll even mix on a Xone before spending your money

A used DJM900 will serve you much better.
Radius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2019 at 2:43pm
Good advice on the servicing- #1 was stripped cleaned and re soldered where needed, but still displays the same fault at random even now its retired and only used at home. I'm assuming its some chip that has had its day....

As far as pirate goes I would prefer to run a PA ,and play on someone elses station. selling my equipment to buy big amps and speakers...

back on topic... I did look at the DJM , for a grand it does seem like it should do the job, but where the Allen and Heath seemed to top it was the 4 band eq's and filters... that said if its a new pioneer that's the most solid choice, I appreciate the input.

AKA the typo king...bear with me, my hands are big and the keyboard small....
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2019 at 2:58pm
DJM600 is 20+ years old. And wasn’t even a good unit when it was new.
Any used DJ mixer is a massive gamble in my eyes.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2019 at 2:59pm
nothing wrong with Pioneer reliability on the whole. But something as old as a DJM500 or 600...well you never know the history. All electronics hate smoke fluid and beer, and most Pioneer mixers seem to attract it profusely. And a complicated circuit as used by Pioneer tend to suffer worse than a simpler board such as A&H or Formula Sound.

For example, a DJM that was soaked in beer in 1998, tipped out on the night and dried with a hairdryer and then forgotten about may eventually start playing up 20 years later because that sticky beer finally rotted a bit of copper that was important.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2019 at 5:39pm
I have lost count on how many soaked Pioneer mixers or CDJ's i have repaired and most of the problems are some way linked to a spillage at some point that has over a period of time dribbled down onto one or more of the PCB's and damaged / eaten the tracks.

When will they learn Confused

Remember, Pioneer attracts drink. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply