Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tube Pre amps ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 10:37am
In reply to this old thread, I used to sell a "valve line buffer" from Musical Fidelity called the X-10D way back in my hifi retail days. It was essentially designed to sit between a CD player and preamp, to bring some "warmth" back to what can sometimes sound like a cold and sterile player. Good or bad is subjective, but it sure sounded different.
  They still fetch more than the original retail price now, unsurprising as they were only £120 back then, but reading this has made me wonder what effect it might have sitting between my very basic Pioneer DDJ-Wego 3 digital controller (which doesn't have a great analog output stage) and my Formula Sound FSM600 (which does).

Maybe not quite the OSP, but close enough for Jazz!

Edited by Lucasdude - 15 May 2022 at 11:36am
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 11:39am
And in keeping with many products discussed on this forum, hot on the heels of a classic Western design here is the Chinese copy...

Tinnitus Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinnitus Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 12:16pm
I wonder if blue LEDS sound warmer than orange? or perhaps they burn off the coldness with the blue...... using quantum photonic exchange ..or somthink...they could just knit it a sweater...a quantum sweater...............none on ebay,perhaps alibaba's got some. maybe a copy of the !!NORDOST!! one, but reasonably priced.

Edited by Tinnitus Rex - 15 May 2022 at 12:35pm
"couldn't we just like... use headphones?"
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 2:35pm
The colour temperature scale would say that blue is hotter than orange, but who's really to say? Perhaps we live in topsy turvy world, and it's really the younger people who are more sarcastic that the old? Smile

Edited by Lucasdude - 15 May 2022 at 2:40pm
Tinnitus Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinnitus Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 5:04pm
Sorry, I was doodling. Have you tried using line isolating transformers with a bypass switch and A/B testing them ..I recon they do something very nice to line level sound (Neve knows whats up!)

Edited by Tinnitus Rex - 15 May 2022 at 5:13pm
"couldn't we just like... use headphones?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123