Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Small System for Parties (Noob alert)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2019 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Ajsski99 Ajsski99 wrote:

would it roughly output 300w per speaker

No.

The speakers are an 8 ohm load so the amp delivers 180W per channel.

To give 1.5 x RMS power the PV1500 would be a better choice (300W per channel at 8ohm). But don't get too hung up on power figures.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Ajsski99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajsski99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2019 at 10:50pm
Right... so what power amp will i need to achieve the rated Watts of my speakers? The while impedance and ohm thing masively confuses me xD

and also will there be much of an audable difference between each speaker producing 180w compared to 250w?

Edited by Ajsski99 - 08 October 2019 at 10:53pm
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2019 at 11:34pm
As stated previously, 1.5 - 2 x of the RMS power is a good place to aim for. If your speakers are 200W RMS and are 8 ohm then you want an amp that will do between 300 and 400W RMS into 8 ohm .

This explains the basics of speaker impedance (you can ignore the stuff about switches) but if you are just connecting one speaker to one amp channel then you can take the impedance of the speaker from its specification and check what an amp can deliver into that impedance.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Ajsski99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajsski99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2019 at 8:25am
my two speakers are 250w RMS and 8ohm each.

So even when I’m connecting both speakers to separate channels (speaker 1 to channel A, speaker 2 to channel B) on the amp, is the impedance halved (4ohm) or is it 8ohm? 

So I need to look out for an Amp that will provide 250w rms per chancel at 8ohm?
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2019 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Ajsski99 Ajsski99 wrote:

my two speakers are 250w RMS and 8ohm each.

So even when I’m connecting both speakers to separate channels (speaker 1 to channel A, speaker 2 to channel B) on the amp, is the impedance halved (4ohm) or is it 8ohm? 

So I need to look out for an Amp that will provide 250w rms per chancel at 8ohm?

The speakers will be seen as 8 ohm if they are on a channel each

I would be looking for an amp that can do 500w a channel at 8 ohm to give you headroom
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2019 at 9:53am
It's as complicated or simple as you want to make it,  

Complicated way is a digital signal processor and set the limiter

Simple way is listen to the speaker and if it starts to sound distorted or funny you're pushing too hard. Tbh if your driving gear that hard, you need more gear (ie run 4 speakers at 50% not 2 speakers at 100%) your speakers are lower end, dont expect them to blow the doors off and you'll be fine. 
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2019 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

It's as complicated or simple as you want to make it,  

Complicated way is a digital signal processor and set the limiter

Simple way is listen to the speaker and if it starts to sound distorted or funny you're pushing too hard. Tbh if your driving gear that hard, you need more gear (ie run 4 speakers at 50% not 2 speakers at 100%) your speakers are lower end, dont expect them to blow the doors off and you'll be fine. 

Very true - and I would be worried about the quality of the drivers in those cabinets. Cheaper end with cheaper materials, ie glues, etc. Still, should make some noise.
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12