Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cubo15 vs tham15, measured

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cubo15 vs tham15, measured
    Posted: 14 October 2019 at 8:37pm
Finally had time to make tham 15.  So here are some quick measurements with two different drivers.

Indoors groundplane, 50cm from the mouth.  There is too cold outside atm so i'm waiting for better weather conditions to make some outdoor measurements.  

However my indoor measurements seems to match some simulations out there.

Brown: Cubo15 extended, RCF L15P200A, driver in chamber
Blue: Cubo 15 extended, RCF L15P540, driver in chamber
Green: Tham 15, L15P200A
Orange: Tham 15, L15P540

(P200A is 4ohm version, not sure which variant but this one has kapton voicecoil former.. maybe reconed?)

Listening tests:
Cubo has somehow more "aggressive" low end but it sounds a bit hollow. Bass beats / transients has some kind of echo in it. Weird sound but might be good for some type of music.  

Tham has very precise sound through the pass band and overall better sound quality. More clear punch than cubo.  P200A(K) clearly better driver here.

Test equipments: UMIK-1, calibrated,  Room Eq Wizzard. 

FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2019 at 9:10pm
I can back up the comment about Cubo15 being some how "hollow" in sound.

I had two dual cabs with PD154, and they made some serious noice. Had a great kick and good LF response... But... 
As stated above, they sound a bit odd. Hollow and dry. But oh my they did make some serious SPL!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2019 at 2:28am
Hollow means lack of distortion. You just aren’t used to it. After a while, you’ll acclimatise and then you’ll hopefully begin to notice what distortion is present in other subs, and which ones are nice to have for certain experiences.
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2019 at 5:47am
Maybe hollow was bad word to describe then.. but anyway there are some anomalies in cubo, more than many other subs or bass speakers I have made and listened (over 30years of experience about hifi/pro audio/musician). 
Tham is more controlled to my ears, not saying cubo is bad but for me its far from being nice to listen many kinds of music. It just dont work that well, maybe I should give it a second try w/ different drivers - as well as for tham. 

I'm designing smallish sound system now, having 4 x "fun enough" bass cabs (smallish power alley effect you know..).  

Edited by Tonskulus - 15 October 2019 at 7:16am
carlosdelondres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlosdelondres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2019 at 8:44am
Would be very interested to see these vs jbell SS15. Never got around to measuring mine, but 4 are certainly 'fun enough' for plenty of occasions, and to my ears very musical.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2019 at 11:07am
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t actually like the Cubo, but that term is often levelled at boxes that have lower overall distortion
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2019 at 11:16am
Originally posted by carlosdelondres carlosdelondres wrote:

Would be very interested to see these vs jbell SS15. Never got around to measuring mine, but 4 are certainly 'fun enough' for plenty of occasions, and to my ears very musical.

Well, actually i made four SS15 for a mate, at the same time i made my Cubo 215.

Tested side by side. Four SS15 in one stack and two Cubo215 in another stack. 
And you are spot on regarding SS15. Very musical and well defined. Clearly sounded more smooth. 
Loaded with the recommended Eminence driver. 

I know its not a completly fair comparison as its two very different drivers, but SS15 sounded the best and Cubo had a very clear advantage in SPL. 

No measurements done. Only listening :) 

Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2019 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by FOO FOO wrote:

Well, actually i made four SS15 for a mate, at the same time i made my Cubo 215.

And you are spot on regarding SS15. Very musical and well defined. Clearly sounded more smooth. 

I know its not a completly fair comparison as its two very different drivers, but SS15 sounded the best and Cubo had a very clear advantage in SPL. 

Which version of cubo.. standard/extended/extra?

But yes PD154 is indeed different league compared to eminence 3015lf. 

Edited by Tonskulus - 15 October 2019 at 1:09pm
carlosdelondres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlosdelondres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2019 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by FOO FOO wrote:

Mine are loaded with 18Sound 15LW2400, and throat is modified al la XOC1 (and a lot of extra bracing). They happily handle a couple of kW each... love the sound, output and size and weight! 
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2019 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Tonskulus Tonskulus wrote:

Finally had time to make tham 15.  So here are some quick measurements with two different drivers.

Listening tests:
Cubo has somehow more "aggressive" low end but it sounds a bit hollow. Bass beats / transients has some kind of echo in it. Weird sound but might be good for some type of music.  

Tham has very precise sound through the pass band and overall better sound quality. More clear punch than cubo.  P200A(K) clearly better driver here.

Test equipments: UMIK-1, calibrated,  Room Eq Wizzard. 

The ringing affect is based off of Standing Waves. It is very common in some horn designs. Such a ringing effect can give some users the perception that the cabinet offers more bass. Taming standing waves can be rectified by using wadding in a reflex/sealed cabinet. However in horns, many of times, such issues cannot be fixed so easily due to the nature of the design.

I commend you for taking the time to literally measure your cabinets. You have moved to the next level of cabinet design. There are many who solely rely on cabinet simulation design software as their only means of end results.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 15 October 2019 at 2:38pm
Elliot Thompson
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2019 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Tonskulus Tonskulus wrote:

Which version of cubo.. standard/extended/extra?

But yes PD154 is indeed different league compared to eminence 3015lf. 

Ekstra extended. Actually the extra extended version saw daylight because i wanted to use PD154 in the design. So Johan modified the design to fit PD154 :) 
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2019 at 8:04pm

jbell SS15
Mine are loaded with 18Sound 15LW2400, and throat is modified al la XOC1 (and a lot of extra bracing). They happily handle a couple of kW each... love the sound, output and size and weight! 

A SS15 with the 'Cone Correction' Throat mod is hard to beat apart from the lowest frequencies. Best built out of something thicker that 12mm ply. Probably up to 103dB/W efficient.
The Tham15 is a lot smaller though and that makes it the right choice for some.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>