Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Audio Performance SK-F project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2019 at 9:34am
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

i would totally have a go at that rcf with watered down pvc and some bits of jay cloth..

and the 8", could it be an old Ciare?

I did some searching, however Ciare has some models who look like it, none of them match really.
Then I searched at Sica 8" and I found a model where the chassis and magnet look identical. I only can't find a picture were the cone is 100% visible.

Regarding the RCF, I think that would be really hard, I would need to cover the whole edge and the tears are right against the suspension. Repairing that would probably change the suspension characteristics quite a bit not?
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2019 at 10:29am
Turned everything upside down, but I have only a couple BC122 recone kits.

As for the RCF, this seems very repairable indeed, I have repaired far worse than that.
Don't worry about changing parameters, in this application the speaker wont be moving that much anyway and the impact on sound/SPL/etc. will be barely measurable, let alone you could hear it.
The difference between the B&C and the RCF is far greater than what you can accomplish with any repair of that kind.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2019 at 10:53am
I can give it a try, but probably want to cover a whole ring since it will probably tear at other places.
I searched about repairing something like that, but couldn't find a good example/instructions.
Also I am not sure what jay cloth would be in Dutch LOL
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2019 at 11:34am

it's not pretty.. but you can try and do it on the back side of the driver.

there's no reason not to try it.
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2019 at 4:30pm
Rizla and pva works for me.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2019 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

Also I am not sure what jay cloth would be in Dutch LOL

If Cravings photo doesn't help, its basically very light fabric cloth sold as a general purpose kitchen cloth - you'll likely have something similar enough in any supermarket.
Cheers,
David.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2019 at 12:31pm
I have found something similar. Would PVA glue suffice?
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2019 at 1:59pm
water it down so it's thinner. some people use coffee filter paper too.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2019 at 4:43pm
In about one week I'll try and repair the RCF but I also have bought two L12P110K's for a good price.
One RCF and the LA driver will be sold.

Regarding the 8" driver, I have send Ciare an email about the driver with some pics and magnet dimensions, hopefully they can help me out. 
If they will suffice I'll keep them for the cab, otherwise I'll exchange them with something different like the B&C 8PE21.

Filters are checked and one has some minor work to it. I drew up the schematic and have simulated the circuit in LTspice. 

Does anyone have experience with the BMS 4548-16 OEM driver? I can't find that much about it, and would like to know if they are up to the job SPL/sound wise. For example a driver like the DE250 isn't that expensive for me.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2019 at 12:00pm
The 8" driver is indeed Ciare made, it's the M200.50 C/Fx-MR

Power: 150 Watt
Max Power: 300 Watt
Re: 9,20 Ohm
Fs: 114 Hz
Cms: 0,00008975 m/N
Mms: 21,7 g
Le: 0,75 mH
Qms: 1,15
Qes: 0,40
Qts: 0,30
Vas: 5,76
BL: 18,94
u0: 2,05 %
Xmax: 0 mm
Sd: 214 cm2

When interpreting the specs it looks like a good candidate for the cab.
Testing will be done in the coming weeks.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2019 at 3:03pm
Today I'm going to try and fix the L12P110K surround, and in this order probably:

-Make it as clean as possible for the glue
-Make several strips to patch it up
-Apply glue and the strips (on the back)
-Have patience
-Test

The only thing I am not sure about is how to apply the glue.
I also could apply some glue on the strips and then put them on the surround/cone.

Old king coles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old king coles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2019 at 5:44pm
That's what I did previously,  and a little smear on the repair area for good measure...works a treat
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>