Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PAT testing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2019 at 9:06pm
As above, get a tester, do the course or if you’re pretty savvy then just read as much documentation as you can. You have to be classed as a competent person and more often than not, just doing no the course does not make you that. When I take plugs apart I test each screw that holds the wire in and replace with ferrules if it needs it. That is doing it properly. Many folks that have done the course just plug the thing in and rattle through the tests not even bothering to see if the item even works let alone is actually physically safe.

If you do buy a tester do some research as many are really horrible to use, think the tiniest screen on the worst system processor you’ve ever used and times that by how many cables you have and bits of kit you own.

Many also have far more feature than you will ever need. I got one of these from eBay boxed with loads of accessories for £80, I added a bar code reader (buy one and get a load of labels printed from one of the many places on the bay... it really helps) and £40 for calibration.

Oh and also make sure the software is good. I don’t rate the Mattel stuff but it really does do all I need it to and you can run it from batteries for that festival on the job appeasing of h+S

blah blah blah blah blah......
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2019 at 1:11am
To avoid any issues at the gig, I spent this afternoon testing all the gear I would be using tonight.  Did it at a mates unit who owns a tester.

Although of course they never actually checked my equipment at the gig, it didn't turn out to be a waste of time because I actually found a few issues with a few of the mains plugs.  Loose screws, loose fuse holders and one cracked housing.  Those faults weren't found with the tester but by a thorough visual inspection.  Further confirmation that these PAT companies that just go round plugging the end of cables they can find into their tester and sticking a label on it are a complete waste of time and money.
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2019 at 3:23am
[QUOTE=monkeypuzzle]As above, get a tester, do the course or if you’re pretty savvy then just read as much documentation as you can. You have to be classed as a competent person and more often than not, just doing no the course does not make you that. When I take plugs apart I test each screw that holds the wire in and replace with ferrules if it needs it. That is doing it properly. Many folks that have done the course just plug the thing in and rattle through the tests not even bothering to see if the item even works let alone is actually physically safe.

If you do buy a tester do some research as many are really horrible to use, think the tiniest screen on the worst system processor you’ve ever used and times that by how many cables you have and bits of kit you own.

Many also have far more feature than you will ever need. I got one of these from eBay boxed with loads of accessories for £80, I added a bar code reader (buy one and get a load of labels printed from one of the many places on the bay... it really helps) and £40 for calibration.

Oh and also make sure the software is good. I don’t rate the Mattel stuff but it really does do all I need it to and you can run it from batteries for that festival on the job appeasing of h+S

[/QUOTE Totally agree with what you've said however ferrels are just another point of failure, I'd only use them solid core not stranded and I don't see how it benefits a failing connection. I'm also of the understanding ferrels reduce the current carrying capacity. I may be completely wrong and if so I'd appreciate you're knowledgeable otherwise. 
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2019 at 8:16am

[/QUOTE Totally agree with what you've said however ferrels are just another point of failure, I'd only use them solid core not stranded and I don't see how it benefits a failing connection. I'm also of the understanding ferrels reduce the current carrying capacity. I may be completely wrong and if so I'd appreciate you're knowledgeable otherwise. [/QUOTE]

No point in ferruling solid core connections, very good reason to use them on flex or finely stranded conductors as they will reduce contact resistance, increase current carrying capacity and reduce the chance of stray conductor strands causing faults. Naturally they need to be crimped properly with the correct die to obtain most of these advantages.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2019 at 10:35am
Boots, 

Spend £12 (amazon I think) on a ferrule crimper (I got the 6 jawed one), get some ferrules and have a play on some stranded cable.  The advantages are pretty much self evident. A clearly more solid and stable connection, and all of the cable is held tightly to be making decent contact.

I'm a total convert and won't terminate a cable without them now.

Take a look at the weidmuller ferrules white paper (Google it, comes up top)

Edited by JonB67 - 10 November 2019 at 11:26am
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2019 at 4:05pm
Visual.

It's the best as a basic. But you should know that. Record it as a visual, test done. 
Radius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2019 at 11:15am
Guys, thanks for the help here- its very much appreciated, and I will be sorting it out , I haven't decided if its a tester or just a visual for now, but looks like eth testers are inexpensive 2nd hand …
AKA the typo king...bear with me, my hands are big and the keyboard small....
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2019 at 11:26am
A lot of the cheap 2nd hand testers are “out of cert”, getting them calibrated and certificated can cost as much as a cheap new basic unit. Just to re-iterate pat is not a legal requirement, but is an easy way to prove you are complying to regulations https://www.pat.org.uk/is-pat-testing-a-legal-requirement/
Plaguesguitarist View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plaguesguitarist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2019 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

I'm doing a hotel gig tomorrow where they're insisting on a 'PAT Certificate'.  Sod that, I'm not paying some other incompetent person to 'test' my gear.

Should have asked them for their "Fixed Wiring Certificate"... See what their response is...
Why did the lampy cross the road?

To steal MY sharpie.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12