Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A truly awful day for my sound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old king coles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A truly awful day for my sound
    Posted: 13 November 2019 at 11:23am
Got home from work yesterday to find my youngest (17) has manages to fry 6x 18g550 drivers....to say I'm upset is an understatement!
If anyone knows of cheap recone kits or replacement drivers feel free to drop me a message Cry
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2019 at 11:41am
Oh dear. To fry one would be a misfortune,but six...might be a good idea to have the amplifier checked over too, could be some DC or subsonic involved there.
Be seeing you.
Old king coles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old king coles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2019 at 11:44am
Amps are all fine, I think it was just due to a lack of knowledge or just plain old showing off in front of her friends...genuinely gutted atm
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2019 at 1:58pm
That is not good news.

LMC Audio are Beyma distributors in the UK, but I just looked at their website and they only have a very limited range of Beyma speakers now available. Would be worth giving them a call though.

The only other UK option I could find is Blue Aran who have two kits in stock at £130 each.

I had a look at various european and american websites and I couldnt find any aftermarket kits for that driver.

I have always found Beyma recone kits hard to find / expensive.

It may be time to consider other options.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old king coles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2019 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by APC321 APC321 wrote:

That is not good news.

LMC Audio are Beyma distributors in the UK, but I just looked at their website and they only have a very limited range of Beyma speakers now available. Would be worth giving them a call though.

The only other UK option I could find is Blue Aran who have two kits in stock at £130 each.

I had a look at various european and american websites and I couldnt find any aftermarket kits for that driver.

That's my line of thinking too,  iv been looking at 18sound and void drivers for my sub section although I'll probably recone for the kick section...
Damn drivers are expensive Wacko
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2019 at 2:09pm

That is not good news.

+1

I´ve had a few of the Beyma 'G' range (mainly 15" drivers) and never really rated them - they are definitely not as robust as one would like.  Ouch

And what cabinet do you have? I loaded a couple of Martin copy 2 x 18" relex bins with the P Audio E-18ELF for someone here a while ago and they are very happy with them. Good value for money.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old king coles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2019 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

That is not good news.

+1

I´ve had a few of the Beyma 'G' range (mainly 15" drivers) and never really rated them - they are definitely not as robust as one would like.  Ouch

And what cabinet do you have? I loaded a couple of Martin copy 2 x 18" relex bins with the P Audio E-18ELF for someone here a while ago and they are very happy with them. Good value for money.

My subs are modified ms18 mk1s,  340mm instead of 300mm and double thickness if you know what I mean? 
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2019 at 3:48pm

The Beyma 18 G 550 is Beyma's oldest 18 inch driver still in production. It would be best to just contact Beyma for a recone kit for this 30-year-old-woofer. If you are looking for a replacement woofer that offers the closest TS Parameters to the Beyma 18 G 550, it would be the B&C 18 TBX 100.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2019 at 4:48pm
" My subs are modified ms18 mk1s,  340mm instead of 300mm and double thickness if you know what I mean? "

Ok - then I´m not too sure how the P-Audio´s would work in those. I think that they are better for (simple) BR cabs.

Looking at the T/S parameters for the 2, they are quite similar, with the Beyma winning slightly on some of the details, eg Bl, Xmax, etc, but who knows. And scoops are really a mystery to me, so I´ll leave it to the experts here!  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2019 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Old king coles Old king coles wrote:

My subs are modified ms18 mk1s,  340mm instead of 300mm and double thickness if you know what I mean? 

I've got four modified MS18 mk1's (double thickness and extended rear baffle, extra bracing in the chamber) and can confirm that Void V-18 1000's work very well in them, they're not cheap but I don't think I'd trust drivers without a good amount of xmax to last in them if fed with a decent amount of power.

Edited by njw - 16 November 2019 at 11:26pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old king coles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2019 at 10:12am
Originally posted by njw njw wrote:

Originally posted by Old king coles Old king coles wrote:

I've got four modified MS18 mk1's (double thickness and extended rear baffle, extra bracing in the chamber) and can confirm that Void V-18 1000's work very well in them, they're not cheap but I don't think I'd trust drivers without a good amount of xmax to last in them if fed with a decent amount of power.

These are on my possible list of replacement drivers along with some 18 sound offerings....
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2019 at 9:09pm

Not quite true, distribution for UK switched to Blue Aran last October (2018) - it was kind of done quietly. 

We used to have a P-Audio aftermarket kit, this didnt work out too tell over time: 1. The Beyma has quite tight clearance on the voice coil gap, so needs reconing properly, you cant just chuck it in and hope for the best. 2. The QC on the kits was slipping - with a few coming through not quite centred properly. - put these 2 factors together, and it became very, very hard to fit these.

Separate to that, once you are distributor for a brand, its not a good look to have aftermarket parts. So we started dropping a lot of these product lines some time ago.

Having had the chance to compare aftermarket to original, there are some instances where the aftermarket parts are not bad, and are a pretty good fit, and work surprisingly well. There are also some aftermarket parts which are shocking, and aren't worth the effort of fitting into a blown driver. We've reduced the range of what we stock, to the 'best' ones only that actually fill a niche, mainly with parts that are hard to get hold of.

just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>