Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speaker Box made of odd materials

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speaker Box made of odd materials
    Posted: 21 November 2019 at 12:21am
I was at work the other day moving some plasterboard and it got me wondering how funny it would be to attempt to build a cab out of it . Just made me wonder , what have people built their speakers out of ? I once             made a Bluetooth speaker with a cardboard box (terrible). Anyone have any good stories of times they have pushed the boundaries on what should be used to build speakers?
Music is nice..
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2019 at 9:41am
Originally posted by oren oren wrote:

I was at work the other day moving some plasterboard and it got me wondering how funny it would be to attempt to build a cab out of it . Just made me wonder , what have people built their speakers out of ? I once             made a Bluetooth speaker with a cardboard box (terrible). Anyone have any good stories of times they have pushed the boundaries on what should be used to build speakers?

In the hifi world, concrete, metal and anything that is heavy and doesn't 'ring'.
I'd love to build a scoop using Perspex, but I wouldn't want to lift it....
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2019 at 12:08pm
You can use all sorts of materials for speakers, altho´ not traditional 'cabinets'.

Smile

Edited by Earplug - 21 November 2019 at 12:11pm
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2019 at 12:31pm
Do a Google search for "Roborg Ravehorn"

There's a thread here but Google seems to find a load of the images too ;)

https://forum.speakerplans.com/ravehorns-first-blast-in-anger_topic3355_page1.html
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
oren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2019 at 1:49pm
That Facebook is Insane ,reminds me of some images  I saw before where the military had been developing the huge horn enclosures out of lorries just filled with drivers 
Music is nice..
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2019 at 2:50pm

That Facebook is Insane ,reminds me of some images  I saw before where the military had been developing the huge horn enclosures out of lorries just filled with drivers 

Check the Danley Matterhorn for the peak of silliness. Also the Carreta SomCar things from Brazil.

Perspex is asking for trouble, it cracks super easily. Go polycarbonate if you can afford it!

studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2019 at 3:38pm
I've used spruce ply for a couple of things that had to be super light - with enough bracing it works, and you can achieve a significant weight saving over birch - but this is offset by how easy it is to put dents and scratches in. You could use LineX or something I suppose but then that would add a kilo or two!

My colleague greeef is about to make a 3d printed hollow-wall Hifi/monitor enclosure, and fill the walls with "acoustic concrete" to a recipe of his own devising...It involves shredded car tyres...Now that's going to be a surprisingly heavy little bugger, and should sound excellent, or so we hope :)

I've always wanted to try Poplar plywood, but never been able to get hold of any. In theory, lighter than birch but nearly as hard and tough.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2019 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

I've always wanted to try Poplar plywood, but never been able to get hold of any. In theory, lighter than birch but nearly as hard and tough.

I'm using poplar ply in the fit out of my van and have been disapointed in the number of voids in it (not all ply is the same quality obviously and you can't blame it on the tree species) and the tendancy to splinter. Mine came from a branch of Jewsons.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
oren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2019 at 4:59pm
The carreta stuff is bonkers, ive come across a few  videos from S.E.A where they have huge competitions of people making like mini line array systems from what looks like scrap materials. also huge competitions of giant rigs playing odd music with people just just standing and judging haha
Music is nice..
oren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2019 at 5:04pm
https://youtu.be/JgWKOW7wp-4 think this is in Thailand 
Music is nice..
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2019 at 8:56pm
I've used honeycomb and foam composites a few times, 20 mm honeycomb plus 3 mm Baltic birch laminated panels come down to the weight of 9 mm Baltic birch, with the sound of 15 mm Baltic birch. Still not completely to my satisfaction though and working to make it more puncture proof.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2019 at 10:14pm

The carreta stuff is bonkers, ive come across a few  videos from S.E.A where they have huge competitions of people making like mini line array systems from what looks like scrap materials. also huge competitions of giant rigs playing odd music with people just just standing and judging haha

I very almost went in on buying a carreta... it was very cheap for a fully Taramp driven, road ready truck with a party pad inside!

Talked myself out of it though.

I’ve also had my hands on poplar ply subs. Light and durable when coated in PU but they seem to ring and as you say, tons of voids so it’s a lot of effort.

Danley have some new composite they’ve made a few boxes from, it’s their “extreme” weather edition for outdoor installations in negative Celsius temps or super high humidity. I forget what it’s made of exactly but it wasn’t a big cost difference considering.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>