Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about t amp tsa 4-1300

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikodj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about t amp tsa 4-1300
    Posted: 22 November 2019 at 8:11am
hello, this is my first post on the forum, I hope you can understand my English because I'm Italian and I'm using Google translator;  after buying several used amplifiers at stock prices which I then resold to friends and locals (e800, tsa2200 and ta2400), I was able to test their good power and robustness coming to the conclusion that they are excellent amplifiers for the price they have  ;  in the meantime I was looking for 2 subwoofers for my 2 mackie srm 450 satellites and I found 2 old fbt ls100 subwoofers modified with b & c 15nbx100 8 ohm loudspeakers, all for 310 €, of course I bought them immediately because only one  new cone costs € 250;  but then I had to find a way to supply all the necessary power (2000w) to the subwoofers and I decided to take a t amp tsa 4-1300, after carefully reading the many pages of this forum that highlight the many advantages but also  defects of this amp but there are still some things that are not clear to me and I would like to ask these questions to you of the forum hoping that you can help me, I state that my version of t amp is not the last release but it is the model that they sold  until a little while ago, the one that has the 3 switches to link the channels between them and the previous owner told me that it was purchased in January 2018;  the first question is, using the bridge amplifier with each sub on 2 channels how much power is able to deliver on each sub ?, because I had read that with only low frequency loads the power of reduces enough, however the divers work between 45 and  130Hz;  then in the first evening I used the amplifier it seemed to me to hear the subwoofers go into distortion before the amplifier marked the clip: is it really a characteristic that all TSA 4-1300 have?  or is it due to the fact that the loudspeakers have reached their maximum range or that the amp being stressed with 4 sub loads on all the channels reduces the voltage enough and then clips first?  then another thing that I didn't understand is whether the amplifier is stabilized or not, because I usually do events in places where the voltage fluctuates between 215 and 230v but it also happens to go to country houses where I have sometimes seen voltages below 200v  In these cases with less voltage, does the amplifier rupture power or keep it constant, such as the switching power supplies of notebooks or smartphones?  then during the first evening of use while I was pushing enough the amplifier (however limited by the dcx2496 to not get in the clip) at a certain point some orange leds lit up on the internal board of the amplifier, I lowered the volume a little  and then they turned off, then looking at the pictures of the open amplifier online I saw that each channel has this led, I think it's a sort of thermal protection but it didn't seem to me that the output power was reduced.
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2019 at 1:07pm
Re TSA in bridge mode, will be your drivers distorting, no need to bridge the amp, only marginal gains due to thermal compression, high risk of burning them out and damage from over excursion.
TSA 4-1300 in bridge is way to much for them in general use.
Nikodj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikodj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2019 at 1:35pm
Why I should not use the amplifier in bridge, I have always known that better a very powerful amplifier kept low rather than a less powerful one brought to the clip, then in bridge it is the only way to produce to the subwoofers an adequate volume for the srm450 which  only really powerful in the mid-highs, I found a good compromise for the subwoofer by starting the limiter of the dcx not exactly before turning on the TSA clip light but making it intervene a little after turning on the last green LED doing so not  distorts nothing

Edited by Nikodj - 22 November 2019 at 1:42pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2019 at 2:37pm
Fine to use the limiters to prevent the amp clipping or over excursion of drivers, whichever comes first, also of course you can drive the speakers to peak ratings if signal has lots of dynamics so that the coils have time to cool down, so long as not hitting xlim but relying on limiters to prevent thermal overload is a risk as it will reduce the dynamics of the signal when limiting and average power will still increase, with that much available it may only take a matter of seconds before your loudspeakers are burned.
I have 2 TSA 4-1300 driving 8 x 1k 15's, 
ch1 - 2x15= 4ohm 
ch2 - 2x15 =4 ohm
ch3 2x12=4ohm
ch4 2x1"comp=4ohm
still have to watch the limiters as can still fry the drivers when using the DCX2496
Nikodj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikodj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2019 at 3:19pm
yes I was aware of these problems, as the b & c technician told me when I sent an e-mail: you can safely use an amplifier with the program power (2 times RMS Power) as long as the amplifier does not go in clips;  since you have 2 TSA 4-1300 you could answer me to the questions at the beginning of the thread like the one on the real power, the internal leds and the stabilization at voltages lower than 230v, etc. thanks
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2019 at 7:20pm
Can't answer re led's and minimum voltage, so far always had solid supplies and run on either 1x13 amp each or 32 amp outlet, voltage here is nominal 240V. Re output,  there is a review where they tested them, I will try and find it, results have previously been posted on this forum.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2019 at 7:21pm

Here ya go:

From a post by 'Correll':
http://forum.speakerplans.com/thomann-tsa-4700-41300_topic89982.html

TSA 4-1300:

1kHz       60Hz_   1% THD 1kHz (one channel, burst signal)
4 Ohm  3660W  2794W  2047W
8 Ohm  2160W  1624W  1235W

impulse: 3192W @4x4 Ohm @ 1kHz
after 20ms: 2304W @4x4 Ohm @ 1kHz

first  33ms: 2025W @4x4 Ohm @ 60Hz
third 33ms: 1521W @4x4 Ohm @ 60Hz

measured by tools4music.de 
 Post Reply Post Reply