Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power amp modules.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power amp modules.
    Posted: 27 November 2019 at 10:12am
Hi guys

I haven’t built anything for yonks, I have a bit more time on my hands now and have a few passive boxes gathering dust, I’d like to purchase some decent modules if possible, any ideas, mainly for  subs, but fancy having a go at a sub plus 8 4inchers in a column. 

Cheers 

Kev 
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2019 at 10:46am
I have been looking for good modules for a long time...
The sad truth is that a decent (comparable to a quality external amplifier) module is virtually non-existent :-(

All of them available on the market have weak power supply, undersized in every aspects, not enough capacitors, even usually missing high-frequency bypass filters on the power rails :-(
Produced "to be cheap" but finally almost unsuitable for the job.
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2019 at 11:36am
The modules on the back of my mates mayer upq were quite nice. 

Surely for gigging in the nags head, the powersoft the Yamaha etc offerings are more than adequate. 

Kev 
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2019 at 1:57pm
The Hypex NCore modules are great, but expensive.

So are SpeakerPower modules, although the DSP is horrible to configure.

There are plenty of Powersoft module speakers out there, in the real world, doing gigs every week. That includes high power dual driver subs, and line array boxes such as Martin’s entire MLA and WPS line, plus PK Sound amongst others.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2019 at 2:00pm
I’m thinking of an equivalent of something that might be bolted to the back of 700 quid speaker. 

I thought there might be more options than alibaba. 

I might bite the bullet and opt for a 4 channel amp with dsp, but it sort of defeats the whole thing. 

Kev 

Edited by kevin tyler - 27 November 2019 at 2:01pm
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2019 at 2:11pm
No speaker-built amp have made reliable even placed in a dedicated acoustically isolated chamber.
Maybe rocket-space electronics what you will never see in any speakers :-D

Dirty truth: speaker vibrations killing electronics, very soon...

I just look around how many tons of Powersoft and other  modules need to replace in relative short period of time just in our circles, many of them in the cabs of once highly named speaker makers.

Self-oscillating Class-D amp is a joke (Hypex) it is for only Home&Car systems NOT for Professional Audio.
Same issues with Behringer INUKE which has no true output feedback and left the output filter virtually undamped.

Edited by U.Viktor - 27 November 2019 at 2:11pm
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2019 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

No speaker-built amp have made reliable even placed in a dedicated acoustically isolated chamber.
Maybe rocket-space electronics what you will never see in any speakers :-D

Dirty truth: speaker vibrations killing electronics, very soon...

I just look around how many tons of Powersoft and other  modules need to replace in relative short period of time just in our circles, many of them in the cabs of once highly named speaker makers.

Self-oscillating Class-D amp is a joke (Hypex) it is for only Home&Car systems NOT for Professional Audio.
Same issues with Behringer INUKE which has no true output feedback and left the output filter virtually undamped.

My large pile of Yamaha DSR powered speakers have been bulletproof over the several hundred jobs thank you, but alas they aren’t powered by PKN so must be a pile of total rubbish...
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2019 at 6:09pm
It should be more accurate to speaking about overall reliability when have companies in sight with many tens of similar boxes, total numbers close to 100. One of them here is a local distrubuter.
I have also a contact of speaker manufacturer said exactly what I said about overall construction and reliability issues of active box technology, yet they are making because of everybody is making :-)

Of course this not what they would paint onto their products, what a surprise!

PKN have active modules too, and they are same bad as Powersoft or others. Not a big difference..

Edited by U.Viktor - 27 November 2019 at 6:10pm
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2019 at 6:19pm
But yet you have no idea how many we stock or indeed how many units we have sold through our retail side, but i can tell you it is quite enough to get a good picture as to reliability.

I too am not a fan of powered boxes, but for different reasons- increased cable infrastructure, increased issues in wet weather etc etc. 
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2019 at 9:41am
I don’t want to jinx myself, my dsr 15s are the best speakers I have ever had, absolutely brilliant, reliable and a great sound in a convenient package.ideal for the nags head gigs I do.  I just wish I could buy a module of a similar quality. I work on a circuit with 100s of acts, who think I’m nuts for spending 2200 euros on a pair of speakers, they use thumps, Mackie 450s and behringer and the box but  unlike myself are on first name terms with the engineer at thomann workshops. 

Kev 
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2019 at 8:43pm
Propably some RoHS amp modules are weaker, those unleaded solder joints just cannot withstand too much vibration.  One of the biggest problem in modern electronics..

I have one 6th order bp 2x18" active subwoofer from 80's, amplifier module still going strong. There is no separate enclosure for the amp, it's right inside the bass chamber. 16x TO-3 mosfets, giving around 1kW of power. 

Post Reply Post Reply