Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RCF LF15 vs Eminence Kappa 15LF

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringo34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RCF LF15 vs Eminence Kappa 15LF
    Posted: 04 December 2019 at 11:28am
Hi everybody

New member here :) and need your help.
I have a plan to build BR system subwoofer. In present I own stereo 2x12 fullrange system, which have very very nice vocals and midrange. They are old Kinap drivers, USSR, highly respected. They play very loud and overall very pleasurent sounding, you do not get tired listening them. Which is one of the most important factor of the good sound system. They probably play low end around 80-100Hz I bet. My system is just backround music when I work in my garage. Sometimes there is also need for small parties up to 40-50 people.

So the need is for low end subwoofer, because thats what i am missing to have overall nice soundstage. I would like to have enough low, but other hand also clear, fast punchy bass. Not too muzzy or slow.

I have done some research here and there and found 2 candidates for bass box so far.

Please take a look and what should I prefer? Bassreflex box is optimal?
They look quite similar, except RCF have significantly higher Xmax.
Overall and long term quality of unit is also important.

Eminence Kappa pro 15LF-2 http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Kappa_Pro_15LF2.pdf - https://www.eminence.com/pdf/Kappa_Pro_15LF2.pdf
RCF LF15X401 http://www.loudspeaker.com/RCF/LF15X401 - http://www.loudspeakerdatabase.com/RCF/LF15X401

And of course if you have even better selection/candidates which fall around 350 usd unit, I am definately open minded to consider.

In PA world thats my first project.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2019 at 12:35pm
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2019 at 8:36pm
Drivers such as the LF15X401 and 15SW100 walk all over the kappa.

However, first some other things you need to clear up:
-How low does it need to go?
-What is the maximum size of the cab?
-What kind of amps do you have, or plan on buying?
-How good are your woodworking skills?
ringo34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringo34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2019 at 11:01pm
Hi
Here is my position:
1) I think (not much experience though) that 35Hz would be good enough for me. Main goal is to have nice set of subs, which have high sonic quality and does not lack significantly from any side. I listen mainly 70-90 dance music in open air. As a background - working with car, building, etc.
2) I hope to manage max 150-175L per sub. Too big ones just take too much room and not easy to transport.
3)I have Peavy CS800 amp. https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/peavey/cs-800.s - https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/peavey/cs-800.shtml
If I need to buy higher power amp then I have to do it
4) thats my biggest advantage. I have done many things and have quite Ok equipment. Table saw, router etc + creative thinking and many hand tools :)
ringo34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringo34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2022 at 2:45pm
Hi
I will go ahead with those RCF LF15X401 drivers. As they dont cost too much and I think they will cover my excpectations.
http://www.loudspeakerdatabase.com/RCF/LF15X401

I have two a littlebit different box design in mind. They just look enough good to me.
Which one should I prefer? What is main difference?

And what simulation program do you suggest me to use to model these boxes. Because I dont have any idea how to get those internal dimensions of box (also port sizes etc, all those angles). I am familiar with Bassbox pro program (I used it for home speakers). But thats my first PA project, so many questions and not knowing details for me.

Thank you for help.

Edited by ringo34 - 28 February 2022 at 3:00pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2022 at 6:02am
Originally posted by ringo34 ringo34 wrote:

And what simulation program do you suggest me to use to model these boxes. Because I dont have any idea how to get those internal dimensions of box (also port sizes etc, all those angles). I am familiar with Bassbox pro program (I used it for home speakers).

Bassbox will do it you just have to enter the TS parameters for the driver you want to use. The biggest difference that the above pics you posted demonstrate is that the ports are much larger for a PA sub, and that is simply to keep port air velocity lower at the higher drive levels that these boxes usually see.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2022 at 7:17am
The second box with the long port should be tuned significantly lower than the first design
ringo34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringo34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2022 at 9:38am
But what about design wise, should I prefer one to another?
Especially considering that RCF driver.

Yes, they are for different drivers so second one looks more like small scoop and tuned lower also.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2022 at 2:59pm
I would definitely go for the RCF 401, much better driver compared to the kappa.
However, we can't say if the above designs are suitable. Yet, I am sure to say that the second one will be tuned to low for most PA applications and max SPL.

If you are interested, I have a 15" 80L net design with a large port >0,5 Sd tuned to 40Hz.
ringo34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringo34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2022 at 12:07pm
I already have bought all material to build it. Thats one of the side reason I design it, as I enjoy woodworking also. I do live in Estonia :)

My music and listening preference is mainly 80s dance music, so sound quality is over SPL or very low tuning point. I try then to get these RCF X401 and designwise that first one.
Many thanks!
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2022 at 12:53pm
So how do you know that the first design will suit your needs?
ringo34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringo34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2022 at 1:08pm
I mean design, plan.
But I will simulate driver in  BassBox Pro to get accurate tuning freq. and box volume, port size.

Correct?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>