Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Floodlight and reflex

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floodlight and reflex
    Posted: 08 December 2019 at 8:07pm
Evening All

I'm soon to have a pair of floodlight back in the unit. We used to run Floodlight with TSW-721 back when we had a chunk of Turbo, these days I have mostly Wavefront inc. a pile of WS218X

Does anyone think the 12" and the 18" could be made to work well? Perhaps even a WS218X dedicated to kick then another WS218X running LF?

Not something i'm going to slap together in a BSS and call done, more so send off to someone who can align and play and send it all back working. Just want to know if i'm barking up the right tree or if I should go off in hunt of more blue boxes...
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2019 at 11:04pm
i don't like running our ws18x's higher than 110hz, they get honky! the turbo is a 180hz xover, way too high for the martins, which are tuned low and lack enough kick as it is.

Give it a go, once delays are right it shouldn't sound awful, but on the flipside, i cant see it sounding brilliant either.

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
Boxes-R-Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxes-R-Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2019 at 12:23am
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

i don't like running our ws18x's higher than 110hz, they get honky! the turbo is a 180hz xover, way too high for the martins, which are tuned low and lack enough kick as it is.

Give it a go, once delays are right it shouldn't sound awful, but on the flipside, i cant see it sounding brilliant either.

Perfect Answer, under no circumstances get confused and drop the Floods below 180, unless you happen to have i) poor taste in sound quality and ii) a pair of Flood RC12xx kicking about!

If you run a WS18 in a 100-180 Bracket and then a couple more in the 30-110Hz under that you may be so far up the efficiency curve of the box the "kick" bins don't bonk due to the tiny bandwidth, BUT I'd listen first in the ware house before a Gig, Turbo TSE-218s go for pennies and would let you run 90-220 on the dual 18 and 200 up on the flood which does work well (Bass Addicts ran TSEs in a 21+kik+flood config for a while and I used a lot of TSE with either 21s or Funktion 218s as IMHO Flood has always sounded lacking in a 4way config...

You'll need to bang it to get time alignment as I don't think Turbo published the "sat on a WS" numbers :-)
Kinda Been there, Kinda done that, YOU COULDN'T handle my bar bill!
spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2019 at 7:44am
Thanks for the ideas gents!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2019 at 1:23pm
Anything can be made to work with anything, it all just depends on what compromises you’re happy to live with. There are quite a lot of designs that could fill that band between sub (30-80) and the Floods rolloff at 180Hz. Or you could use your reflex boxes, if you’re happy with the beaming and the tone. Splitting them into two ways of bass can of course minimise that but at the cost of SPL.

All of this is stuff that comes out in the design stage, and that includes tuning. Tuning as an afterthought rarely gets the best results, it’s important to consider the skill set and approach early on to inform your choice of cabinets as well - finding boxes with relatively complimentary group delay curves is a good start, to avoid adding lots of additional processing delay for time alignment.

Of course, that also depends on the end goal for the finished rig. Small venues with live mics are a lot less forgiving than a large venue where the PA is flown anyway, or on playback only content. That’s why it’s mad to me to see some of these hyper-FIR processed dash array sized ground stacks of small format line array cabinets on small corporate band or conference shows. MLA mini has something like 10ms of processing built in, that you can’t turn off. Some column speakers have even more, almost forcing you to mount them behind the performer to avoid having a weird ‘70s Kung fu movie’ feel.

Anyway, digression aside, the subs are reflex so if they’re run as subs, the GD curve rises as you move lower in frequency but is relatively low in the upper region where the cone is providing all of the output. You’d probably do well with a BPH ‘kick’ added at a later date, and again, time aligned and filtered properly to integrate well.
 Post Reply Post Reply