Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any Speakers with sub and horn only?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 9:33pm
I will look into those in a little while thx. Meantime, what determines the mids overall sound and quality is it the driver or the size of the horn? In other words which driver on the Peavey Mf1-x horn might work? I can get those horns easily is why I am asking.

Edited by mikehende - 11 December 2019 at 9:35pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 9:51pm
It's both, and more. A good sounding speaker is part of a holistic approach - good design from the beginning, including the component parts such as driver and horn, but also it's companion parts such as other elements of the same box, and processing - whether that be DSP or analogue, or a mixture of both, and of course in varying degrees of hyper-processed FIR to minimal DSP or Meyer-grade stacked all-pass filters, Danley asymmetrical sloped filter banks and bulb networks, or no passive processing at all.

Edited by toastyghost - 11 December 2019 at 9:52pm
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 9:58pm
Oh I see. I am not an audiophile so just seeking a horn easily accessible here which might give me enough mids from it so back to my question if the Peavey Mf1-x horn might work and if not with it's original driver then which driver might work with it?
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by mikehende mikehende wrote:

Oh I see. I am not an audiophile so just seeking a horn easily accessible here which might give me enough mids from it so back to my question if the Peavey Mf1-x horn might work and if not with it's original driver then which driver might work with it?

For those playing along at home:
https://manualzz.com/doc/3365162/peavey-mf1-x-user-s-manual

Note the very curious use of +/- in the coverage specs, these are trying to say in relation to the x and y axes. I'm going to assume a LOT of smoothing on those very nice plots they did, not on the basis of mistrust, but simply the level of technology available to them at the time in 1989.

They marketed this as a constant directivity 90x45 horn, and it does that. I bet it has some mighty fine rings and resonances, discontinuities from being pushed into mass manufacturing, but if you're keen for this idea - and two years, with that thread referencing others farther back is a long time to keep asking yourself the same question in a different way - then I would be tempted to just throw some cash behind a B&C DCX464 driver, make my own adapter to mount it to the horn bolt pattern, and see what happens.
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 10:27pm
Thanks, I will look into those.

I had a pair of those peaveys in the 90s but was using them with w-bins and the w-bins gave like a high bass or low mids so I got away with it because of that. I think there was old Altec drivers in the horns. I've never heard them with the original drivers just judging from the specs I am wondering if the 500hz would give me enough mids.

I have a Cerwin Vega Jr. Earthquake which gives a higher type bass with some low mids so I figure just like the w-bins they might work with those horns.
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 11:21pm
If you invited me to a party where the rig was some CV Earthquakes going straight up to some big horns, well, the rest of the party would have to be pretty something for me to even consider it.

Even with these big horns and larger, modern compression drivers, those subs are going to sound awful muddy with vocals coming out of them.
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2019 at 1:02am
Only reason I was thinking of using the CV was because of the low mid but if the horn can give enough mids then I can use my dual 18 bass reflex sub with it.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2019 at 2:32pm
You might well have more success with the reflex bin, as the drivers are on the front - the problem with the CV bin being that while sub-bass sounds fine coming down a long folded horn, low mids *do not*. You can imagine what it would sound like if you put a hi-fi driver on the end of a long pipe and then listened to the end of the pipe? Pipey. You've got to avoid that.
A lot of 18" drivers will play very happily up to 500Hz. The coverage pattern will narrow as frequency rises, but even at 500Hz an 18" remains largely omnidirectional (probably still over 180 degrees for an average width 18" bin). 
There are certainly cinema systems in use now that cross an 18" bin over to a very large compression driver and horn directly. For home Hifi use I think it will sound fine. You may experience distortion from the horn at higher volumes, but this is not likely to be a problem in a domestic setting.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2019 at 2:53pm
So far, Mike has been saying he wants to throw parties with this system, not use it at home.

Otherwise I agree with you, but again, pick your compromises
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2019 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Soundscape Soundscape wrote:

Back in the 70's/80's, Vitavox (UK audio company) were making the Thunderbolt speaker. This was 2 way with a horn loaded 15" and a small 'multicell' radial with a S3 compression driver.

They certainly weren't capable of producing 'sub' but still managed to generate a decent frequency range for the music of the time. I saw the band Landscape at a gig (1981 possibly) with 2 pairs of Thunderbolts per side for the PA plus some slot type tweeters which to my ears sounded great.

Vitavox never got very far into the proaudio market as they were 'old school' and had been selling products into cinemas & theatres for many years. They also sold to the hifi market and still have some fans in that area today.

I remember that Aswad used them for FOH for a while, sounded good too
It's a difficult choice, would you rather have:

A: A vegan son.
B: An OnlyFans daughter
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2019 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

You might well have more success with the reflex bin, 

A lot of 18" drivers will play very happily up to 500Hz. 

There are certainly cinema systems in use now that cross an 18" bin over to a very large compression driver and horn directly. 

Hmnn, the Eminence kilomax Pro woofers I have it's specs shows only 33-300hz and the CV JE-36B is around the same 35-300 so specs-wise both should not work?

Also, can I trouble you to possibly link me to a "cinema system" which might work in the home please?

mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2019 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

So far, Mike has been saying he wants to throw parties with this system, not use it at home.

Oh no sorry guys if I gave that impression, My purpose is strictly for home use when just hanging out. I very seldom would need to crank it up and this would only be during the summer may 3 times tops.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>