Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any Speakers with sub and horn only?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2019 at 6:05pm
In that case, since you seem to like vintage style, why not sell off one of your box types and use the cash to make some Jensen Imperials? They would play up nicely enough to meet a big horn loaded with a modern driver, and offer some nice bass plus that RLA dance stack aesthetic.

Here’s the RLA / GSA style version, known as the Waldorf, playing into a lens:

Edited by toastyghost - 12 December 2019 at 6:07pm
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2019 at 6:18pm
Thanks but I would prefer to purchase than build as I had tried getting  sub built a few years ago and it did not work out well for me. At any rate that looks like a superscoop? If yes I can get that here used.
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2019 at 9:09pm
If you are after the sound of your youth sort to say, but intend not running the system at 11 i'm afraid you'll be a bit dissapointed after spending quite some cash on horns and such. I ran a 4520/slant/bullit rig for years in the mid 90's and boy could it sing! but only when screaming in agony. the powercompression , distortion and such made the sound. until last year i ran a 4530 using a E140 and a bullit on top for smaller gigs and even that could blow you away with some extravagant EQíng but again; only when pushed to its limits. had it in my living room for quit some time but it never worked out. 
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2019 at 9:10pm
These guys have something :)

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2019 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

These guys have something :)

So do these guys:
http://www.redspade.com.au/audio/PSE-144.php

If you’re just wanting to buy then these get my vote.

Edited by toastyghost - 12 December 2019 at 9:16pm
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2019 at 9:16pm
I've never seen anything like that :)
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2019 at 1:20am
Originally posted by mikehende mikehende wrote:

I had a pair of those peaveys in the 90s but was using them with w-bins and the w-bins gave like a high bass or low mids so I got away with it because of that. I think there was old Altec drivers in the horns. I've never heard them with the original drivers just judging from the specs I am wondering if the 500hz would give me enough mids.

I was mistaken, they were not Altec drivers but these Atlas drivers:

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/016731-atlas-sound-pd30t-high-efficiency-30-watt-compression-driver-with-transformer?gclid=CjwKCAiA58fvBRAzEiwAQW-hzZMXVvlcmPTdDk2Btawr8dBrRhrmGZDE2V_MdlKefQ1Ix5IsW-BUtRoCOdsQAvD_BwE

Even though they were only 30w I had more than enough volume for my home and small gigs but looking at the frequency response I guess that is mainly why I had gotten a lot of mids and highs from them. They have the higher versions with even much lower response:

https://www.atlasied.com/pd60a

mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2019 at 7:13pm
Just found out a guy here has these old Peavey's for sale below. I have Peavey SP2, he has the SP3, what would be the difference between them both please?

Edited by mikehende - 13 December 2019 at 7:13pm
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2019 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by mikehende mikehende wrote:

Thanks but I would prefer to purchase than build as I had tried getting  sub built a few years ago and it did not work out well for me. At any rate that looks like a superscoop? If yes I can get that here used.

The Jensen Imperial (as you have no doubt googled by now) ain't nothing like a Superscoop. It has a very different horn expansion compared to modern computer optimised designs and a similarly "unusual" HUGE rear chamber. It does not model well in Hornresp. However.....

It will wrangle sub-bass out of almost *any* driver, and sounds good doing it. Plus, because the driver is front facing, you can cross it over high enough to meet a large horn. You have to live with the dip in response where the horn output and cone output are out of phase, but that's a factor of any RLH design.

If you have the space, and are set on the old-school aesthetic, there are very few better designs.  The original design is a double, you can make two singles for easier movement and it still works well. And it's getting on for 70 years old!
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123