Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mini Rig + Amplifier Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajsski99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mini Rig + Amplifier Advice
    Posted: 03 January 2020 at 1:48pm
Hi all

Currently have: 
  • two tops (250w each at 8ohm)
  • two reflex bass cabinets (400w each at 8ohm)

Am looking to purchase a new amplifier that can run this entire setup.

Have seen the Behringer iNUKE 3000, and have been told that Channel 1 would run the 2 Bass cabinets linked (4 ohm) and that Channel 2 would run the 2 tops linked (4 ohm).

The amplifier has a built in crossover and can handle 900w per channel @ 4ohm...

Would this setup work?

All answers are greatly appreciated, Ajsski99

jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2020 at 1:53pm
inuke 6000 or nx6000 will do fine Smile
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
Bline.bowser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bline.bowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2020 at 10:33pm
the way your looking will be fine like jammin said with the 6000.
one thing id ask is how far you plan on going with the rig and if its worth getting a electronic xover and 2 amps just for that more finer control but all depends on what its used for and how often etc etc.

Edited by Bline.bowser - 03 January 2020 at 10:35pm
Freakindj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freakindj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 11:45am
I am afraid I completely agree with the previous poster.

I might be a Newbie to building my own Sub cabinets but not from mixing for my own band or building up DJ systems for my son.

YES - technically you can do it.

But I could not think any better way to torture the poor power supply inside the amplifier. Most amps I've worked on (an I say this with degree in Electronics Technology) are designed to be relatively balanced. They share power supply components between the 2 channels. The distortion this would create with 1 side with a collapsing EMF from a 90 Db 80 Hz bass note and the other side trying to broadcast a sustained 1400 Hz note would be pronounced,

Better to Bi-amp with 2x the power in the subs as your tops. Keep the Tops Stereo and Bridge the Subs "If you must"
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 4:32pm

This is quite common arrangement and is how almost all 2way powered speakers are set up.

For a basic low cost small system, the DSP revisions of the iNuke/Nx are perfect for this application as they contain everything you need….. However the non-dsp systems will also work although with a lot less control.

With regard to "torturing" the PSU in the amp: Having the Bass/sub on one channel and the MF/HF on the other normally makes the life of the amplifier’s PSU easier than having just bass/sub on a both channels as the total PSU load is generally lighter due to the relative power requirements of the Bass & MF/HF drivers.

Also, when an amplifier is playing just sub/bass, in most cases (i.e. none bridged) the amplifier tends to load only one of the PSU’s rails at any given time. Placing the bass/sub on one channel and the MF/HF on the other will “tend” to spread the load presented to the PSU across multiple rails, as for at any given time the two channels “tend” to be driven with different signals .…  

…. Unless the amplifier has crap PSRR/kSVR, crosstalk between the amplifiers two channels should be negligible.

Edited by APW - 13 January 2020 at 5:12pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bline.bowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2020 at 10:57pm
What did you end up doing? Splitting it or double amping 
Freakindj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freakindj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2020 at 2:33am
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

With regard to "torturing" the PSU in the amp: Having the Bass/sub
on one channel and the MF/HF on the other normally makes the life of the amplifier’s
PSU easier than having just bass/sub on a both channels as the total PSU load
is generally lighter due to the relative power requirements of the Bass & MF/HF
drivers

Also, when an amplifier is playing just sub/bass, in most
cases (i.e. none bridged) the amplifier tends to load only one of the PSU’s
rails at any given time. Placing the bass/sub on one channel and the MF/HF on the
other will “tend” to spread the load presented to the PSU across multiple rails,
as for at any given time the two channels “tend” to be driven with different
signals .…

No - not true

Edited by Freakindj - 18 March 2020 at 2:34am
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2020 at 8:06am
Why do you think so? Common sense says that it would be true if two amplifier channels share a PSU and voltage rails inside one chassis.

Obv. it depends a little on the loads connected and the signal but generally speaking I would expect bass content to have a lower RMS power than what sits above it.

If you have 2 stereo amps and a 2 bass + 2 high playback, I cannot see it as a bad idea to split them out to both units as a bass/high mix each. Else statistically (and very much depending on load) you would expect a bass/bass amplifier to be dissipating a lot more power internally than a high/high.

The game has changed a little with class D topology, but the idea is solid for class AB/G/H I feel.

APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2020 at 9:08am

Originally posted by Freakindj Freakindj wrote:

No - not true

35 years as a time served electronics engineer tells me otherwise…

Edited by APW - 18 March 2020 at 9:10am
Ajsski99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajsski99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2020 at 11:32am
I ended up double amping and using an ultradrive, works great :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bline.bowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2020 at 11:48am
Imo best route to have gone more control. Hopefully you wont get the bug n end up planning and building a 5/6 way system 🙈
Freakindj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freakindj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2020 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

<p ="msonormal"="">35 years as a time served electronics engineer tells me
otherwise…

https://wallofsound.ca/misc/understanding-distortion/#prettyPhoto
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>