Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

eBay Scammers - Warning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: eBay Scammers - Warning
    Posted: 12 January 2020 at 3:40pm
Hi,

During the course of my usual eBay hawkeye, I've noticed a number of different accounts listing pro audio gear over the last few weeks where every auction description has the following in it (please don't reference the email address in a text post; the people running this are likely running searches for the email in question to see if it's been mentioned anywhere)

The posts have all the usual hallmarks of a scam - very attractive prices, many different high end items for sale, eBay account with good feedback but hasn't listed items for sale recently.

An interesting technical note for those interested, the listings all have html viewports to dropbox hosted HTML, which renders the email address not as text recognisable by a machine (as far as I can tell, seems to be javascript based rendering) Handy so the scammers can change the contents of all of the listings if their email address gets comprised or reported
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2020 at 7:51pm
Really appreciated. not seen but thanks for this. Things like this make up for the pages and pages of back and forth subjective/scientific/opinion/huffing that seems to fill up every now and then. It makes me pleased to be a member albeit only on the fringes of this community.
blah blah blah blah blah......
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 10:26am
+1

As someone who also trawls through the bay quite regularly looking for bargains (Smile) any heads-up about a scam is appreciated.  Thumbs Up

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2020 at 9:09pm
They're at it again. New image below

tomrotten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomrotten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2020 at 7:18am
I noticed the other day and thought nothing of it.. but a Powersoft K20 for 1.6k was too good to be true!

Thanks for the heads up :)
 Post Reply Post Reply