Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heavy amp postage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heavy amp postage
    Posted: 13 January 2020 at 8:39pm
Hi guys,

I have to post a CAudio SR707 and I need a point in the right direction as to who to use to deliver please. UPS insist on a cardboard box, the amp is in a 3u rack case.
In bass no one can hear you scream!
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 8:52pm
big cardboard box.... job done. 
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 8:53pm
doesn't necessarily have to be an actual box, i have cut sheets of card and gaff taped it into a vaguely box shaped casing, good enough.
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 9:16pm
Pallet is the only option when it comes to heavy fragile stuff.

Pallets cost circa £70 these days including the VAT.

www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 10:15pm
Try a Shipley driver, will cost you a bit more but it won’t arrive completely destroyed.
I refuse to deal with couriers anymore especially UPS = useless parcel smashers.
100% Earth Moving Bass
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 11:47pm
Pallet.
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 12:01am
Never ever send a pallet by p4d whatever you do. 
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 1:57am
A slight tangent but can anyone recommend a decent company to pallet some stuff to europe (denmark).
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 7:43am
I received a 7001 by post where the amp been wrapped in cardboard, then very stiff eggbox foam then more cardboard. It arrived intact and I thought as a method of protection it was pretty good.
Don't test the champignon sound
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 10:23am
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

big cardboard box.... job done. 

This, UPS, done.

Been doing it for years.

35Kg+, is what I would call heavy.

Often use PD 18" Driver box, if I have one. 
Triple layers of cardboard below amp, amp wrapped twice in bubble wrap.

Proper duct tape to reinforce bottom, and seal box.
Wrap box in pallet wrap, and plenty FRAGILE tape. Job Done.

Have posted 40kg Infinite 8 MK2, like this.
Insure parcel to FULL value.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 12:32pm
 I've sent loads of amps via courier over the years (either with parcelforce, ups or dpd) and as long as it's packed well you shouldn't have any issues but as Lev says make sure it's fully insured.

Edited by njw - 14 January 2020 at 12:33pm
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 12:54pm
If you do decide to pack a heavy amplifier (say 35kg) in a re-inforced cardboard box, then the weight in kg should be written in big writing on each side of the box.

Manual handling will be involved at some stage between collection and delivery.

It is unfair to people working in the distribution warehouses, and delivery drivers etc, who are generally lifting boxes containing domestic things bought from Amazon or ebay etc, to unexpectedly come across a really heavy box.

Thats how people get serious injuries to their backs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>