Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need a little advice before I over commit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pigeonkid666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pigeonkid666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a little advice before I over commit
    Posted: 20 January 2020 at 3:54pm
Yeah your all defiantly right I'm probably gonna buy it tonight, thanks for all the help everyone!!!
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 3:22pm
That Lanzar amp is, again, class AB - meaning it is not efficient, and will waste an annoying amount of your battery power in heating up the large, heavy heatsink on it! 
The Pioneer is class D, so it will not waste as much power, and is guaranteed to be lighter. 
It also has a very useful built-in crossover - so when you get a bass bin, you can use that to separate the frequencies. You can also use it to cut very low bass from your Skytecs, so you don't waste power sending them frequencies they can't play. With the Lanzar, you would need to buy an external crossover of some sort to do all of that, which is an extra expense.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Pigeonkid666 Pigeonkid666 wrote:

I've heard that when you underpower speakers that there's some not so good distortion... considering there 500w max across 1 8" woofer and 2 piezo (one square, one horn) a easy 250+250 should do it considering the ohms will be different? It's at 8 so I assume it'll drop to about 4 a channel which is piss easy to power right? And if I'm gonna underpower them would be best to stick about 150+150? Thanks guys this is helping I know I'm slow asf

Underpowering does not cause distortion.

your two 8 ohm speakers become a 4 ohm load when wired in parrallel

Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 10:25am
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 10:17am

So if I run my skytecs (250rms 500max 8ohm) in a series

You will want to run them in parrallel to create a 4 ohm load.

a mono amplifer capable of 500rms 1000 peak 4ohm? Right.... this amp is 500rms 1000 capable of 4 ohms?

So you plan to bridge it? I can't see the spec where it says 500W RMS when bridged into 4ohms but if its there then ...

That way I can go straight boominator and put in a car stereo right?

No idea what you mean here.

will it just blow up both speakers?
No.

is this a good idea at half the price of the pioneer?

I doubt it.
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 10:06am
You don't need to run everything at max power all the time Wink

See what a clean 50-100w amp sounds like first.
I am inclined to take the "brute force" option with quality parts, and would suggest seeing if you can find a Pioneer amp cheap on 2nd hand market
https://www.instagram.com/batteryacidsoundsystem/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pigeonkid666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 9:46am
Okay dudes spent days going out my head trying to figure this all out must of gone round in circles God knows how man times!! But sure I can can stick with a similar idea to my first... but I'll use this amp 
So if I run my skytecs (250rms 500max 8ohm) in a series ill need
https://gb-jbtools.glopalstore.com/lanzar-htg257-heritage-amplifier-2000w-2ch/
 a mono amplifer capable of 500rms 1000 peak 4ohm? Right.... this amp is 500rms 1000 capable of 4 ohms? That way I can go straight boominator and put in a car stereo right? Or will it just blow up both speakers? Or because the ideal amp does exist is this a good idea at half the price of the pioneer?
Thanks again for all the advice
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2020 at 5:20pm

Hey lemme start with studio, I've done some more digging into it and they may not be a who 6ah but the lowest I've seen then is 5Ah they are ifr32650 rated at 3.2v for scooters apparently
Ah right on, so those must be lithium iron phosphate cells (LiFePO4) rather than lithium ion cells (LiIon, LiPo)  - the LiFePO4 chemistry works at slightly lower voltages so a 4s pack is indeed 12.8v nominal and will power car audio gear no problem. They're also a lot safer than LiIon in terms of fire risks when charging, they have no potential thermal runaway problems.
But I'd still consider them an unwise investment for a newbie, especially if you're having to really compromise your amp budget to afford them! 
My own system uses Sure Electronics 500 watt boost regulators (+12v > +48v converters) and 2x300 watt TAS5630 amp boards. It was complicated to build and took a lot of time to get right. The Pioneer amps weren't available at the time, if they had been, I would almost certainly have bought them!
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2020 at 11:47pm
+1 on the pioneer 12v amps

D8704 only £115 new online.  Still in your budget 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pigeonkid666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2020 at 7:55pm
Hey lemme start with studio, I've done some more digging into it and they may not be a who 6ah but the lowest I've seen then is 5Ah they are ifr32650 rated at 3.2v for scooters apparently, I really don't wanna really be paying £200 for a amplifier. I wanted to keep the whole build to a worth of about 150... i have considered underpowering the speakers have also considered using a 2channel amp for the woofer to be separate from the tweeters more. Honestly I don't mind the idea of building a amp from scratch it just where to start!? 
Image! Hey man I've heard of a few people doing that, ive already nabbed a old battery but it's a bit of weight to drag across the mud even with wheels. I think I'll defo stick with it for now tho, I've heard that when you underpower speakers that there's some not so good distortion... considering there 500w max across 1 8" woofer and 2 piezo (one square, one horn) a easy 250+250 should do it considering the ohms will be different? It's at 8 so I assume it'll drop to about 4 a channel which is piss easy to power right? And if I'm gonna underpower them would be best to stick about 150+150? Thanks guys this is helping I know I'm slow asf
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2020 at 4:36pm
Start off with an old car starter battery. One that wont start a car will still play you some music for a bit and it won't cost you a penny (ask around, someone you know will have one they want rid of). Put the money towards a decent amp and then save up for a better battery.

I have run 4 x 15" drivers for 8hrs + from a 7Ah lead acid battery that came from an old emergency light fitting. This was on a  25W per ch chip amp board and was plenty loud.

Sure electronics amps are worth a look.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2020 at 2:20pm
Hmmmm I would not buy those batteries right now. If they are that cheap they are probably not really 6000mAH. Also you won't be able to make a 12.8v nominal pack out of 3.7v cells (closest would be 4s at 14.8v nominal, but that charges to 16.8v when full, which will make a lot of car amps unhappy)
The IRS2092 boards need a BIPOLAR power supply (Ie, +60v and -60v) which is very difficult to get out of a boost converter especially with significant current
Seriously just buy the Pioneer amp and a decent leisure battery and you will have a lot of fun....
Run time will be longer than you think. A battery that in theory would last for only 2 hours on "full tilt" usually gets you at least 4 to 6 hours of actual music at a sensible level.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>