Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3" driver for CBT array?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3" driver for CBT array?
    Posted: 24 January 2020 at 2:59pm
Hi

I'm planning to build a CBT array about 1.2m long. After looking at about 100 different drivers I've landed on the Beyma 3FR30 which seems to beat everything else in terms of xmax and sensitivity. Annoyed I didn't consider it earlier. next most suitable seem to be FaitalPro 3FE25 or Peerless 65F25AL01-04

anyone have any other suggestions before I buy? don't suggest anything over £15 per driver.

not sure yet whether my array is going to be sealed back, open back u-frame, cardoid with acoustic resistor on the back, or vented with the ports on the rear. going to start with the u-frame and experiment what works best.

will post some pics and measurements in a few weeks.

cheers
Phil

Edited by snowflake - 26 January 2020 at 11:58am
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2020 at 10:02pm

You need to be weary comparing very small speakers particularly when pitting home audio manufactures versus pro audio manufactures. Specifications tend to be more questionable with speakers aimed primarily to the home audio market as oppose the pro audio market.    

When I was exploring 3 inch drivers around 6 years ago, I chose Faital Pro. I've conducted numerous tests using them in sealed, free air and, a straight horn. The speaker(s) showed it's (their) class ranging from 1.5 kHz and up.

I did purchase Fostex in addition to, Vifa later on and was not impressed with the results. Either a lack of high frequency level or SPL was the root of the problem when I compared a Pro Audio Manufacture to a Home Audio Manufacture.

You can hear my comparison of the Faital Pro 3FE25 vs Fostex FF 85WK below.

Drivers of that size are not going to offer enough bass regardless how many you use (coming from a pro audio user standpoint) and will still require a larger driver in order to make up the loss in the lower midrange to bass region. They perform as they are labelled... A Full-range Loudspeaker.

Best Regards,  

Elliot Thompson
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2020 at 10:29am
Sica from Italy has a big range of full range drivers. They have a particularly cheap 5 inch unist, the  5d 1cs iirc. Its 12,60 here in Finland.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2020 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

Sica from Italy has a big range of full range drivers. They have a particularly cheap 5 inch unist, the  5d 1cs iirc. Its 12,60 here in Finland.

i dont think i would use a speaker with a whistler cone for a vertical array to be honest.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2020 at 4:54pm
The 3fe-25 is a fabulous driver, we have used it on a few projects with excellent results.

snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2020 at 11:57am
just ordered the beyma and faital 8 ohm version - will post some test results when they arrive.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2020 at 1:52pm
Very interested to hear how you get on with the Faital, I'm considering them for my next 12v tops. On paper they look like a good strong driver, designed with PA use in mind.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2020 at 9:56pm
just been doing some measurements of the faital and beyma drivers

can't get the screenshot to upload at the moment for some reason.

I tested with a 11.7V RMS signal - so nearly 20 watts

beyma driver is about 4dB more sensitive across the midrange and goes slightly higher.

the faital driver does have lower distortion but the beyma also had acceptable distortion levels. because the beyma is more sensitive and has higher max power, they have roughly the same distortion level for equal output levels.

unless you want only moderate volume at ultra-high fidelity, I think the beyma is the superior driver.

Edited by snowflake - 16 February 2020 at 9:57pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2020 at 12:18am
I use the Faital Pro to dampen the dips in the frequency response commonly found with the majority of compression horns so midrange Below (1.5 kHz) is not wanted/needed. Did you find the high frequencies (above 10 kHz) are more efficient in the Faital Pro or Beyma?

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 17 February 2020 at 12:20am
Elliot Thompson
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2020 at 11:24am
because the weather is so bad these measurements were made on a baffle on top of my kitchen table with some pillows underneath - so only useful for relative level comparisson. these plots are the average of three measurements - on axis, 30 and 45 degrees off axis.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2020 at 7:09pm
Thank you.

The measurements are more than enough to see what is taking place amongst both drivers above
10 kHz. The kitchen table allowed me to conduct a lot of audio measurements in the wee hours of the morning (3 a.m.) when everyone else is sleeping any ideas are running wild.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 17 February 2020 at 7:10pm
Elliot Thompson
smoore View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2020 at 9:59pm
Hi snowflake, Which colour is which driver?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>