Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3" driver for CBT array?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2020 at 12:08am
Beyma: Green

Faital Pro: Torques 

Best Regards, 
Elliot Thompson
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2020 at 5:23pm
manufacturer spec sheets show very similar sensitivity - so bit surprised by the clear difference.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2020 at 8:17pm

It is difficult to make a comparison amongst Beyma and Faital Pro examining the manufacturer's specification sheet. The differential in dB range vs Frequency Range do not coincide on their specification sheets upon viewing the dB increments. The Faital Pro hovers overall below 90 dB throughout of the majority of the bandwidth (10 dB increments) whereas, the Beyma appears to be undetermined from a dB range throughout the majority of its frequency range due to following an unconventional increment dB scale. With your chart, at least we can see the behavioural pattern at the given frequencies amongst both drivers @ 5 dB increments.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 18 February 2020 at 8:18pm
Elliot Thompson
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2020 at 10:17pm
Elliot, Does that verbose post really just say the beyma looks better? :)
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2020 at 12:15am
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

Elliot, Does that verbose post really just say the beyma looks better? :)

This is what I am seeing...

Based on the graph, we can see the Beyma 3 FR30 offers around +3 dB over the  Faital Pro 3 FE25 within the 180 Hz - 2 kHz range. With the exception of  3 kHz (in favour of the Beyma 3 FR 30 by around +7 dB) the performance is very close from 4 kHz - 12 kHz (not very noticeable from an audible standpoint) between the Beyma 3 FR30 and Faital Pro 3 FE25 loudspeakers. Above 12 kHz, the Beyma offers +5dB within  14 kHz - 15 kHz range and both drivers begin to take a nose dive around 18 kHz.  

So pretty much what Snowflake stated in terms of the Highs, Mids and, Bass on what he is hearing is displayed on the REW Plot.

We are at a stage that there are so many 3 inch full-range drivers at our disposal that, there is no need to settle for a full-range loudspeaker that will not meet our requirements.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2020 at 8:07am
Think i might get a few beymas to play with when my workshop is finished and i have the time and a place to mess about with a few cabinets.  Really like the idea of a suitcase sized rig able to do a small venue.  Was also looking at tony wilkes q25 reprise thread.  Although the pictures are gone,  the 5 inch coaxial and a second 5 inch driver must be a punchy combination in a bookshelf speaker sized package. 

The cost and simplicity of a line of three inch drivers has an appeal though!
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2020 at 1:38pm
putting the order in today for fifteen beyma drivers. managed to work out all the frequency shading with the use of just one 5W resistor.

this prototype will be 1.2m long. beamwidth and pattern control can be altered by changing the curvurture of the line (it should be flexible engough to play around with this.).

BTW would anyone consider using a CBT as a stage monitor? I have an idea for one that would be just 60cm tall, 10cm wide. with 70degree vertical beamwidth and pattern control to 80Hz.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2020 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

because the weather is so bad these measurements were made on a baffle on top of my kitchen table with some pillows underneath - so only useful for relative level comparisson. these plots are the average of three measurements - on axis, 30 and 45 degrees off axis.

well I haven't got the drivers yet. three week wait for the Beymas so might just get the Faitals to do a prototype with.

also, what's going on with the big dip in my Beyma measurement at 5kHz? it isn't present in the plot on manufacturers spec sheet. maybe a measurement error from reflections? but why isn't it also on the faital plot? If it ever stops raining and blowing will try to measure again outdoors.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2020 at 5:58pm
You can measure them indoors with the microphone very close to the cone at a lower level. That will reduce any reflections taking place during the test measuring in the kitchen. I usually place the loudspeaker on a throw pillow to eliminate any reflections from a flat surface such as a table.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2020 at 2:21pm
just measured again with the mic 2" from the cone. 5kHz dip is still there

snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2020 at 2:29pm
it really doesn't look to me like a measuring environment problem - the beyma and faital are giving respones that are almost the inverse of each other from 3kHz up - where one has peak the other has a dip.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2020 at 2:40pm
low frequency response. this nearfiled measurement is very different to the previous measurement below 400Hz - room response was dominating before. the faital has a lower fs (110Hz vs 160Hz) and a higher Qts (0,7 vs 0.49). on an open baffle, I think this will make up for a some of its lower xmax and power handling - is that right? haven't really decided where to high pass these yet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>