Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CAudio SR808

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pscstudio54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2020 at 12:23pm
That's everything I need to know. Thank you. I have to admit it, it does sound really good. Smile

APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2020 at 4:20pm
Found this information:

https://ibb.co/P9zGDsk
simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2020 at 4:54pm
That looks like it's from the Avitec catalogue as i have an original one still in very good condition. Clap
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2020 at 5:24pm
Yes 1986. Well spotted Simon!
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2020 at 5:31pm
My catalogue is the 1989 version and has the Beta Pro amplifiers  (220,500 & the 800) which were also built by C-Audio. Happy days.  Wink
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2020 at 6:18pm
1986 was a notable year in many ways. C-Audio launched the SR808, Peugeot launched the 309, Fergie and Prince Andrew got married and the Space Shuttle blew up shortly after launch.

Oh and I left school that year.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 5:00pm
There are white versions? OOOOOH never seen one in the wild!
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2020 at 10:55am
That's the load testing done, just a slight problem with one channel which was clipping assymetrically, caused by one of the VI clamp diodes being cut out of circuit for some reason.

I always like to do an audio test with music contemporary to the amp in question. In this case, I'm playing Whitney Houston.   
Kevin

North Staffordshire

totalAudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totalAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2020 at 10:52am
you guys seem like you might be able to help me out :D

I have three sr707 currently and one of them just started giving me major troubles :S

the peak limiter lights are coming on very quickly with little signal or gain

im guessing (with limited knowledge) that a power cap or two may have started to run dry given the age and unknown service history on these

can anyone suggest a way of getting to the root of the issue? willing to put my hand to it myself with some guidance

cheers for any help guys
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2020 at 11:08am
"im guessing (with limited knowledge) that a power cap or two may have started to run dry given the age and unknown service history on these"

I doubt that the power caps are running dry.

Check the below first:--

1. Each driver PCB board check R14 & R50 (were 24K 1/2 Watt now changed to 27K 1 Watt), these tend to go open / high resistance if the value in your amplifiers are 24K (Maybe change these in ALL yor amplifiers)
2. Are BOTH peak lights doing this on both channels or just one channel ?.

Please also be careful as there is high voltages around and the above MUST be done by a engineer or someone who knows about power amplifiers. Wink

Edited by simonp1100 - 19 April 2020 at 11:10am
totalAudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totalAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2020 at 12:00pm
I will check this out ill get one opened up today

and it is both channels that are doing this one slightly more so then the other id say but that could just be the difference in the peak light, both channels are about the same audibly

thanks simon
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2020 at 12:33pm
Hi, Each amplifier driver board controls ONE channel and has the following circuits on it---.

1. Amplifier driver stage.
2. Peak light driver circuit.
3. Balanced input op-amp driver.
4. Protection circuit (but this is normally only used on ONE board).

So if BOTH channels are doing then it could be one of the following---.

1. Check input connections (i.e. are you using balanced or unbalanced connections).
2. Resistors as montioned in previous reply could be faulty on BOTH channel PCB boards. This would need checking and also updating on any other SR amplifiers you have (24K To 27K 1 Watt)
3. The soft start relays is stuck and amplifier is still in "Soft Start Mode" i.e. the 50 ohm soft start resistor has'nt been shorted out by the relay and this in turn will give you a 50 ohm resistor in series with the main power transformer and will reduce power output. Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>