Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speakers on separate inverters?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speakers on separate inverters?
    Posted: 25 January 2020 at 1:34am
I'm wondering if anyone has experience running an audio rig where power is split between different inverters? 

Basically - I want to have ~6,000 continuous watts of power available for larger gigs - but would prefer to accomplish that with (2) 3,000 watt inverters. This gives me the ability to have (2) independent smaller rigs, and also to have some redundancy - in case of failure I'm not all-or-nothing - I could hobble on with half-power if I had to. I'm still debating 12v vs 24v - and if the inverters would share a single larger battery bank, or if I'd want separate/dedicated battery banks for each.

But my question - if I have say, mains/subs powered by one inverters, and backline/monitors on the 2nd inverter - what audio issues might I be inviting? Nothing that some XLR ground lifts/Iso/DI boxes can't cure? I would assume I'd ground the inverters together on a bus bar, but curious if this is necessary, especially if the inverters are in different physical areas.

Thanks!

-Matt

Edited by mlenny - 25 January 2020 at 3:58pm
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2020 at 10:26am
Hi.

So we ended up with 2 x 24v systems more by chance than design ! I would def' go 24v... the thickness size of cable needed at 12v for a 3k is silly! Splitting into two banks also makes sense as it makes it more portable. We run two trailers ...one running old 1100amh SLA batts @ 24v and a smaller trailer running 300amh Li-Po4s @ 24v as well. Both with solar panels on the roof. It allows for two scales of system plus of course combining for one big one.

We ground the 240v earths of both invertors together at the earth rod we use. Usually with 1 x long at least 6mm earth cable between trailers. That leaves both 24v DC systems seperate. Never had any audio issues ...?

.p.

Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
 Post Reply Post Reply