Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Compact 2 way fullrange cabinet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2020 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Xoc1 Xoc1 wrote:

Originally posted by Monkeys Monkeys wrote:

12" would be too big. I want to keep the box size below 30l.
Unit would operate primarily as a battery powered Bluetooth speaker (looking at getting a pair of Lutkevelds boards

When you Say Box size 30L are you talking External volume or internal Volume - Box minus walls drivers. ports etc?

The Lutkevelds boards are Class D but do not have DC DC converters so will not do anything like 50w
More like 7 watts RMS on a 12volt battery into a 8 ohm speaker. or 15w in to a 4 ohm driverClap

What, really? So what is the quoted 45w per channel referring to then??
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2020 at 11:13pm
24 volt battery
Monkeys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2020 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

24 volt battery

Oh, right. Yeah ok so they will do that quoted power if powered by 24v DC, that's fine.
Monkeys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2020 at 12:04am
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

You have to sacrifice low end and box smallness for 12v use, because efficiency is KING. There's no point building a rig that needs so many batteries to play all day, and such big heavy amps, that you can't take it anywhere without a big van. You might as well build a 240v rig and buy a generator.
If that really worries you, you can always build a separately powered subwoofer system and bring it out when necessary. But that will *not* be every party. 

I do appreciate all the advice, I really do. I'm not sure that I'm making clear the priorities for this project though. And I do understand that what I am suggesting is going to require significant sacrifices in efficiency and loudness for the sake of a bit of low end.

I have a fairly massive 240v rig (12 x Punishers, 4 x MKB12's, 6 x TSE111's, 2x TMS4's) and access to generators already =P I'm really not looking to throw parties with the speakers from this project, I would use my rig (or part thereof) for that.

This project is meant to be an attempt to make a really nice bluetooth speaker. To be able to have some easy, fairly compact, high quality, portable speakers which will take seconds to set up, will still produce a fairly full range sound (albeit at reduced volume). They don't need to be able to play for days on end, 8 hours at max volume (100ish db) would suffice, I think... If I really need them to run for longer than that I can bring an extra battery or a small generator.

Thinking, more a portable studio monitor rather than PA speaker?
Monkeys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 10:47am
Ok, update and advice pleas? I have done some further research in an attempt to find some middle ground and gain efficiency, without compromising too much on box size and bass extension.

I have come to the conclusion that I think will use a high efficiency 8" bass-mid driver, in a 25L (internal) volume box. This should get me around 90-92db efficiency and a fairly flat response to 50hz with the right driver.

I have narrowed it down to 4 driver choices, which I would appreciate any advice on.

Beyma 8P300Fe/N -
Pros - Best efficiency (92.5db), Looks very durable and heavy duty (should be resistant to power compression?), reviews say it can be crossed around 1500-2khs with the right tweeter on a waveguide.
Cons - Slightly lower bass response than most of the other options (90db from 50 - 100hz), quite expensive

ScanSpeak Classic P21WO20
Pros - Very good bass response, flat to 50hz. Tried and tested classic driver, great sound quality based on reviews
Cons - Lower efficincy (89.5db)

SEAS - Ca22RNY
Pros - Quite good efficiency (91.5), smooth bass rolloff from 100hz. Great reviews, relatively affordable
Cons - Very light construction, looks like it may not be very durable?

Peerless - HDS-P830869
Pros - Best bass response, nice hump at 50-100 hz. Easily the cheapest
Cons - Lower efficiency (90.5db), nomex probably not be the most durable? Unsure about crossover frequency.

Any advice on the above greatly appreciated =)

Monkeys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 11:05am
Ok I am thinking I will go with the Seas Ca22RNY, but in a larger cabinet size of 36L internal volume. I plan to crossover to the tweeter at 1.5khz. The tweeter I am looking at is the Wavecor TW030WA11

I've modeled the CA22RNY in WinISD in a 36L box, tuned to 53hz, with a 6.8cm diameter and 5.77cm length port. This gives the following results:

Sensitivity of 91.5db
F3 of 50hz and F9 of 40hz
1st port resonance is 2979hz
Maximum rear port air velocity at 50w is 26 m/s.

Response curve shows a hump at around 70hz up to 92.5db.

Can anyone see anything fundamentally wrong with this design? The port length seems fairly short, shorter than it is long, is that right?

I would have preferred to go with a lower tuning frequency to get slightly more bass extension but since I am planning to cross over at 1500hz, I need to get the port resonance up to around double that (or greater). Is this really necessary?

Edited by Monkeys - 10 February 2020 at 9:35pm
Monkeys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 10:28am
Can anyone please advise if there appears to be anything wrong with this design? Apart from the obvious lack of efficiency for an "ideal" 12v system etc. I am OK with that, I just want to know if the cabinet design and sim etc looks OK.

Would it be possible to reduce the port resonance to say around 2khz without too much issue? I have read that damping the port can significantly reduce port resonances. This would be ideal for me if it is possible since it would mean I could get away with a smaller box..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234