Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15" Drivers for Cubo Kick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nejten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15" Drivers for Cubo Kick
    Posted: 29 January 2020 at 6:30pm
Greetings

I want to build some cubo kick bins for 15" drivers. The recommended drivers are the 18Sound 15ND930, Eminence Kappa Pro 15,  Faital Pro 15FH520 and the Faital Pro 12FH500. I was wondering if i could put a driver with more watts than these in the bin but I can't compare small thiele parameters because they vary so much on the recommended drivers. Does anybody know what I have to look at when looking for a suitable driver? 

Bless
From small acorns oak trees grow.
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 10:39am
I know what to look for, do you have any favourite brand or brands? 
nejten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nejten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 10:57am
Not really, I would like them to be about 800w-1000w but the brand does not really matter, thanks!
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 11:41am
Wattage matters even less than the brand Smile
Sensitivity and proper t/s parameters for the desired box (the parameters that define the driver carachteristics) are fare more important in driver choice. 
Furthermore the difference between 800 watt and 500 watt Is about 2 db, theoretically, even less in practice , so barely perceptibile, and usually drivers with more  wattage are less sensitive so Need more Power to  reach the same level.
I know the market wants you to think in Watts, but It is not so useful.
I use 15nd930 , 1kW amp power per driver , and never had problems in 4 years.

Anyway listen to mobiele eenheid, he knows a thing or two about cubos...

nejten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nejten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 3:18pm
So will the recommended driver work just as fine? because i would love to have a disgustingly heavy kick and i don't know enough about speakers so i thought: more watts= heavier kick
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 4:38pm
A few things you have to understand (if you don't already), without going much in the details :
1- A cabinet is designed for a driver, or several drivers that share the same parameters (lookup Thiele /Small paameters, often refered to as t/s) => that's the recommended drivers. If you put a random driver in it the results will be random
2- max spl does not only depends on wattage. Lookup for driver sensitivity. 
sensitivity is a figure which tells you how much SPL you will get for X watts. So 2 drivers with different sensitivities will yield different SPLs if you feed them with the same power.
3- other things come in play, like power compression : once a driver is hot, more power is disspated in heat, e.g for a 1000 watt driver, fedding it 1000W over 800W won't give much more SPL if any (but instead will heat up the driver more, which can lead to issues)

I'm over-simplifing here and there, but just understand that more watts does not always means more sound pressure. (our kicks are BBC215, there are 2 recommended drivers, one with more max power, one with more sensitivity, the most powerfull has actually less max SPL due to lower efficiency)

Sorry, can't comment on the cubos though, but in your shoes I'll stick with the recommended drivers
nejten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nejten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 5:00pm
alright, thanks for the info!
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by mobiele eenheid mobiele eenheid wrote:

I know what to look for, do you have any favourite brand or brands? 

You are really very modest and funny with it. 

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to help the op find a suitable driver.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by nejten nejten wrote:

Not really, I would like them to be about 800w-1000w but the brand does not really matter, thanks!

Why? 

What is special about them being 800 to 1000 watts? 

What if they're able to take lots of power but sound bad?

What if they take lots of power but are really inefficient so put out less spl? 

Your request makes little sense. Might be better if you explain why you asked this and what you are trying to achieve.

Edited by JonB67 - 30 January 2020 at 10:40pm
nejten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nejten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 7:20am
sorry, i dont know enough about speakers so my logic was: more watts= heavier bass but this does not seem
to make sense. i just want to load my cubos with a driver that gives the heaviest en best sounding kick.
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2020 at 11:18am
Let's put it out first, I think the 15ND930 is an excellent kick driver but a good kick is more than just a good driver and a good design, it's also about implementing it into your system (setup, processing). So if these 'legs' of the kick are all stable you could look into the following drivers, both from 18Sound, the 15NLW9300 (neo) and the 15LW2400 (ferrite).

If you say, I'm just gonna use one kick per side, EQ a bit as I'm mostly interested in a low thud, I would choose the 15LW2400. If you say, I like a bit more snappy kick, or I'm going to stack the kicks and/or use multiples per side, I would choose the 15NLW9300.

Quote You are really very modest and funny with it
It's reviews like yours where at least half of my knowledge comes from. Plus this is one of the few forums were a gag like that works.

On special request:

Good kick drivers (for Cubo Kick 15 and alike) have:

Qts 0.2 - 0.4
EBP (Fs / Qts) over 100, typically 120 - 180 Hz
Xmax less then 10 mm, typically 6 - 8 mm (except optimistic Faital Pro calculations)
3" - 4" voice coil
Le typically less then 1.5 mH, lower is good

Cubo Kick 15 drivers often have a Qts x Vas product in the 40 - 80 range and a Mms between 80 - 140 g.

Edited by mobiele eenheid - 05 February 2020 at 2:03pm
nejten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nejten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2020 at 8:23pm
what do you mean by "legs" mobiele eenheid?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>