Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Campervan subwoofer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingGwarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Campervan subwoofer
    Posted: 02 February 2020 at 2:18pm
Hello all,

I'm designing a subwoofer for a camper van/motorhome...van space itself is a Luton box perhaps 2m x 3m x 2m big.

I have a dedicated space in a corner of the van for a sub, at 770x340x470mm, so have opted for a 10" driver (don't think I could get away with a 12" [304mm] driver in a 340mm tall box). From my calculations this box is about 100 litres (- driver volume).

Drivers I'm looking at are:
  • Eminence BP102 (200w @ 4ohm - 92db sensitivity)
  • Eminence B102 (200w @ 8ohm - 92 sensitivity)
  • Mivoc AWM 104 (200w @ 4ohm - 88db sensitivity)
I had looked at the B&C 10NW64, Faital Pro 10HP1020 and Eminence Kappa Pro 10LF / Kappalite 3010LF but since it'll be running off two solar-charged 105ah leisure batteries I opted for a lower wattage driver.

Hoping to get down to 40hz and up to 130hz and not as fussy about big SPL.

The drivers I am looking at suggest up to 60-70 litre vented enclosures. My space is about 100 litres. I am struggling with Hornresp, but was wondering if anyone can tell me what my best options would be....could I use part of the dedicated space for a port/horn and in turn decrease size of box? How would I go about figuring this out? Was hoping to just make a ported reflex box but now I think my box is too large...

Any help appreciated.

Blessings!

Edited by KingGwarn - 02 February 2020 at 6:26pm
Soundman inna Brighton town
King Gwarn Sound System
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2020 at 3:31pm
The wattage just tells you how much they can cope with (without overheating) rather than how much you need to get them working. 

If you're wanting it to be economic on power you want to look at which one has the highest efficiency. 

snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2020 at 5:54pm
because of cabin gain you should easily be able to get below 40Hz using a sealed box

try Beyma 10BR60/V2 on 100L box

or Ciare 15.00SW will give much higher max output.

Edited by snowflake - 02 February 2020 at 6:30pm
KingGwarn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingGwarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2020 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

The wattage just tells you how much they can cope with (without overheating) rather than how much you need to get them working. 

If you're wanting it to be economic on power you want to look at which one has the highest efficiency. 

yep the Eminence drivers are rated at 92db and the Mivoc at 88db. Maybe I'll take a look at the other Eminence, Faital Pro and B&C drivers....

Basically I think I need to know how to go about compensating for my box being larger than recommended enclosure. I want it ported because don't want masses of power to drive a box which I'd need with something sealed.

Edited by KingGwarn - 02 February 2020 at 6:56pm
Soundman inna Brighton town
King Gwarn Sound System
 Post Reply Post Reply