Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If you could have just 2 budget subs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If you could have just 2 budget subs?
    Posted: 08 February 2020 at 3:13pm
If you could only have two subs (maybe 3 ), must be able to be moved about by one person (on wheels) and wanted musical wobble over SPL throw what would you have?

I'm selling off all my old band kit and want a pair of good subs for fun. I have a pair of basic shelf 18'' reflex at the moment but I'm considering any other more efficient designs to swap to. I want real deep lows, -3db@42hz or better. Twin 18'' considered though I'd prefer the amp and weight requirements of a single 18''..

Whats better at being an X1 than an X1? What hits as well as a MACH m182r with one driver?

what designs or pro boxes are your favourites that I might be able to research? Hit me with your most loved subs... Budget options please, no £2400 each, current production Martin Audio bins.. stuff that's been about the block.

No horns please. I want to stand 3-7 meters away from them and get full field, I also don't want it travelling over the hill.

What ya got?

Edited by Noyzmunky - 09 February 2020 at 12:17pm
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2020 at 4:27pm
Few years ago I made for clients, two sets of 4x single 15" reflex bins for Fane Colossus 15XB. Net internal volume 87 litres, tuned to 55Hz. They have a very nice tone and useful output from 45Hz up. If you sim that in WinISD you should have a good starting point. I think they drop a bit lower than the sim in real life.

My boxes were made for minimum width. Internal width 420mm. So the outer dimensions are 456 wide x 606 tall x 658 deep (including a 20mm overhang at the front). Port is 150mm height x 420mm width x 491mm depth (from baffle).

You could easily make a double version by just sticking two together bottom to bottom. I would still have a dividing panel between the two parts though, so that if one driver blows the other is still safe.

Edited by studio45 - 08 February 2020 at 4:31pm
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2020 at 5:05pm
I'm no computer simulator, and my finish level is woeful for speaker building so I'm going for second hand pro builds like a nice RCF reflex or a pro carpenter built design. The EV RX18S looks interesting. odd design with that angled driver... also you can get a pair for 600.

Cheers for your reply man, I have seriously considered a pair of twin 15'' but I'v yet to find a design that goes low enough, though hard enough is not an issue. Also when people ask me what my little rig is I'd prefer to say it's 18'' loaded...

If I was a few years younger I would go for proper three way with a couple of those nice logic systems push/pull 15'' on kick but it's going to be 18's for the sub (I cant fit 21's in the car)
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2020 at 5:06pm
also loved the 15xb back in the day. I think we were running 16 at one point, all in fane design folded horns.

Edited by Noyzmunky - 08 February 2020 at 5:07pm
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2020 at 7:06pm
DV-SUB
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2020 at 7:20pm
TRS-118?  I don't know very much, but mine are lovely
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2020 at 7:51pm
RC Audio uni bass, two of these is like having a whole stack of anything else, don't believe me? don't argue here. go to the demo in Sheffield later this month then come back here and tell me I'm wrong.

Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2020 at 8:20pm
Cheers guys! An evening of internet page sifting begins.
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2020 at 9:31pm
To add another box or two.

X1's Sound very nice.

Logic systems twin 18 push pull PHL loaded, the taller ones not the short ones. Not sure of the model number but they sounded lovely, a really nice deep thump.
In bass no one can hear you scream!
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2020 at 9:49pm
B2
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2020 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by concept-10 concept-10 wrote:

RC Audio uni bass, two of these is like having a whole stack of anything else, don't believe me? don't argue here. go to the demo in Sheffield later this month then come back here and tell me I'm wrong.

They do look a bit of a beast! No response graph though on their website or even an F3 point...
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2020 at 11:14pm
Whats the point of suggesting anything when we dont know your budget?
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>