Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If you could have just 2 budget subs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 3:30am
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Whats the point of suggesting anything when we dont know your budget?

OP said "Budget options please, no £2400 each, current production Martin Audio bins.. stuff that's been about the block."

So nothing wildly expensive like current Martin bins, and nothing that's had seven shades of sh!t blown out of it.
If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 7:12am
Master Audio MD218SW with the processed 3K6 amp. Now Thats a set i would like to have Embarrassed
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 9:08am
cheers guys. I'm kinda leaning toward a pair of X1's at the moment. Nice warm response down to 30 odd hz and still viable to move about the place with just me. Twin 6bp would be great, as would three lab horns but I think size will get prohibitive.

Cheers to BJtheDJ for noticing the budget requirements.
This is a project almost entirely just for my own ears so some realities need to be addressed..

So the upshot seems to be modern powered subs (out of the question given budget and set up space) or an old design of Rog that still goes the distance like the X1.

I will continue trawling the net for likely contenders.
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 9:59am
I would put money against a DV-Sub totally destroying a X1 in a similar sized cabinet.

Only disadvantage is the DV-Sub needs a adult amplifier as it’s 2.66r

Edited by jacethebase - 09 February 2020 at 10:09am
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

I would put money against a DV-Sub totally destroying a X1 in a similar sized cabinet.

Only disadvantage is the DV-Sub needs a adult amplifier as it’s 2.66r

I don't doubt it, but, and it really is a big one as they are current production and... can I find two of them for less than a grand a pair? Doubtful.

a pair of PD1850 loaded probuild X1's went for 500 a few weeks back. Bang for buck is there anything better? given my brief of cheap, low hz, easy to handle and not a horn.
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 12:52pm
X1s are quite a big box. How important is the one man lift part of the spec... ...not sure I'd be one-man lifting them loaded with 1850s.
Don't test the champignon sound
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 1:20pm
'quite' important from my point as I'll be taking them out of the container on sunny days while I work and I'm up there on my own mostly.

That's not to say I can't build a ramp though..

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 1:29pm
x1s are movable on wheels but they're not a one man lift at all.
el chupacabra View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote el chupacabra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 5:45pm
if there's a couple of arcline x still kicking about (not that many were made) - they'd be great for a lil one person rig. light, drop as low as is needed to be musical for pretty much anything, pretty efficient.

2x15" ported horn config.
al_x View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote al_x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 6:15pm
X1’s with void v18-1000’s with 1.5k coming from the amp sound brutal. Even in singles. 
£290 for the driver, £60 for 1 1/2 sheets of birch ply. 

The RC1 as mentioned are supposed to be good, a 22”(?) reflex design with 3000w rms active amp I think. 
But they are something like 3 or 4 grand plus vat each. 

Edited by al_x - 09 February 2020 at 6:17pm
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 8:23pm
Someone told me the other day about a dual 12 from Thomann that is getting very good reviews, not heard it but maybe worth a look. will be cheep to.

Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 8:58pm

I will have a look at the thomann stuff. it gets good reviews for budget kit.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>