Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First 12v sound system plans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First 12v sound system plans
    Posted: 08 February 2020 at 8:39pm
What im planning so far:

Tham12 loaded with;
1x 12" the box speaker 12-280/8W
Power capacity: 280 W RMS
Impedance: 8 Ohm

Mid/Top:

Mid =
1x 10" the box speaker 10-250/8-A
Power rating: 250 W RMS
Impedance: 8 Ohm
SPL: 94 dB (1W/m)

Top =
1x Eminence ASD1001
RMS: 50W
Usable Frequency Range 2.5 kHz - 20 kHz
Recommended Crossover 2.5 kHz / 18 dB
SPL: 104 dB

Passive Crossover =
Eminence PXB2-2K5CX

Amplifier: 
1x Pioneer GM-D8704 Class-D 1200w 4-Channel bridgeable
Bridged = 2x 300w rms @ 4ohm

I was thinking of bridging 2x channels for the Sub and bridging 2x channels for the Mid/Top too.

Look forward to any advice, thanks! šŸ˜€

Edited by Jack1991 - 28 February 2020 at 5:41pm
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2020 at 11:16pm
The Box Speaker 12 looks good in a Tham 12 sim. If the parameters I found can be trusted

Midrange efficiency will be important. Maybe consider a 12" mid for better efficiency.

If you are thinking of sticking with the Eminence APT then the crossover frequency is 3.5K.
The Eminence 3.5K crossover is a reasonable match.
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 3:36pm
Yes ive heard on another forum a good few people said it works great in there tham12. 

Okay cool ill check out the Eminence crossover now thanks! I do like the look of the Eminence top so would like to use it yeh.

I was leaning more towards the fane 8" more than the 10" but you think i should go 12" mid instead? 

With passive crossovers are they litterally "plug and play" as in solder Mid and Top  to it and then connect the crossover to the amp. Or do they need tuning and stuff to get them right? Im new to all this so trying to get the correct info before i begin.

Edited by Jack1991 - 09 February 2020 at 4:56pm
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 5:39pm

The Fane Sov 8-225 is fairly efficient (@ 97db/w) and in the right box can meet the Tham, I have a friend who has a couple of fanes in the 18-sound 8ā€ suggested designs ā€œapplication noteā€ enclosures that he uses with a couple of Thams, the whole thing sounds quite sweet. 

The Eminence crossover is OK, however you are going to need an 7-8db l-pad between the crossover and APT150s due to the difference in sensitivities.

FYI: http://www.eighteensound.com/en/resources/suggested-designs/

Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 6:23pm
Ah right cool thats good to hear! Ill check that out now as im still stuck with enclosure choice. 

Oh okay i didnt know you should match the sensitivitys of each speaker too. Should i be matching the sensitivity of the Sub, Mid and Top really? Or just the mid top as they are linked together via crossover and in the same box.

Also why do the sensitivities need to be matched? Is it so they all sound equal i assume?

Thankyou! šŸ™‚šŸ‘šŸ¼

Edited by Jack1991 - 09 February 2020 at 9:14pm
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 10:04pm
Hey. i dont know about what youve seen online but the sim im getting for the 12-280/8-w in tham12 doesnt look so good to me. theres a 3dB drop from 60hz hump down to ~100hz. Dont have computer connected to internet so cant post up sim, will do later in week when get home if your interested.
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Mikkel Mikkel wrote:

Hey. i dont know about what youve seen online but the sim im getting for the 12-280/8-w in tham12 doesnt look so good to me. theres a 3dB drop from 60hz hump down to ~100hz. Dont have computer connected to internet so cant post up sim, will do later in week when get home if your interested.

Nothing is very flat from 60-100 in the tham 12 when simmed, in the real world that driver is ok with some slight eq if need be, for a 12volt system it will be fine.
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by concept-10 concept-10 wrote:

Originally posted by Mikkel Mikkel wrote:

Nothing is very flat from 60-100 in the tham 12 when simmed, in the real world that driver is ok with some slight eq if need be, for a 12volt system it will be fine.

Fair enough, reason is ive been designing my own tapped pipe for that driver for my own 12v idea and the tham was an obvious candidate but was put off by poor performance. Good to know anyway.
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 11:00pm
It works well in the MTH-30 and some BFM designs as well, for the money you can't go wrong, good luck with your project Smile
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 7:20am
Nice one, cheers.
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 10:47am
Any advice on the reducing tweeters sensitivity db? I dont really get the L-pad idea.

Is this a crucial step or something only a "audiophile" would pick up on.

Tweeter: 107db
Mid: 95db

Edited by Jack1991 - 10 February 2020 at 11:10am
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 11:11am

I wouldnā€™t worry about having higher sensitivity on the bass; you are bi-amping so you can turn the bass down slightly on the amp if itā€™s too muchā€¦ however the system will sound ā€œfullerā€ having a 3 to 6db extra on the bass.

If you are using DSP you CAN EQ the HF out and/or using separate amps to drive the comp/tweeter, however as you are going to use a passive crossover itā€™s better to use an l-padā€¦ The l-pad is simply two large resistors that reduce the tweeters output but maintain the correct impedance that the crossover sees, without it you will have way to much HF from the tweeter, the result will be a speaker system that you can cut peopleā€™s heads off with!!

L-Pad calculator: http://www.mh-audio.nl/Calculators/att.html

Depending on your MF driver you may also need a Zobel network; however I seem to remember the 8-225 doesnā€™t need one to sound OK. A zobel is a RC network that is placed across the woofer, this corrects for the rising impedance with frequency curve that a woofer has due to the VC inductance, in some instances this messes with the crossover point as passive crossovers are designed to work in to a specific impedance.

Edited by APW - 10 February 2020 at 11:12am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>