Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JBL SRX700 vs ??? for £1000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JBL SRX700 vs ??? for £1000
    Posted: 11 February 2020 at 2:41pm
What would you say was a good or better option than the JBL SRX700 twin 15'' for full range direct radiation for a grand? Wanting 500w +.

And is a grand a good price for a pair of them in good condition?

I have been looking at the Mackie SR1530z but it's only 300w. I cant see any of the SA version which are 1000w.

What other options are there either powered, unpowered, twin/single, 2/3way direct radiating cabs for £1000?

any models worth looking at much appreciated.
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 3:21pm
Found some 1000watt mackies… any comparisons or reviews on these?
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 4:34pm
The 10,000W Skytecs are far better!   LOL LOL LOL

You shouldn´t get so bogged down/obsessed with wattage. Look at the SPL, frequency response, coverage angles, etc. Far more important than how big an amp you may need to heat up the voice-coil! Dead

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 5:12pm
Thanks for your reply.
Horses for courses though isn't it?. Given that your list of functions is something I would go research myself once people had shared their knowledge of viable options, based on the very ubiquitous wattage metric, whats the point in confusing the issue with other metrics? But for trying to look clever.

I'm looking for recommendations on a grands worth of second hand punchy full range cabs. Powered or unpowered. something 'like' the SRX or the SR1530z....Do you have any?

Cheers.
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 6:02pm
Don't take offence please, when I was starting out I to was obsesses with Wattage, what really helps once you've stated the budget is what you're planning on using them for. Are they for a venue that has loads of death metal bands through the doors, are they for a dub system or are the to smash techno into the side of a derelict warehouse for two days?

Each of these needs something different and if you want something that will do all the above then that could be something different again. Although you dismiss coverage angle it's actually pretty important to how you plan to use them and expand the system in coming years. I'll have a look at the models you're looking at and have a think.

A 4 Litre Jeep is very different to a 4L Rolls to a 4L Maserati. Same engine size, different top speed and different use.

Edited by monkeypuzzle - 11 February 2020 at 6:06pm
blah blah blah blah blah......
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 6:26pm
Fair points, fair points....

Why: sold all my big rig kit years ago and want a garden rig to play with. Sold my sports car so have funds for hobby without the missis giving me evils...

what: A 6k rig for my garden. two full range, three subs.

who: me

Style: variable musical genres depending on my mood. Dub reggae, classical, techno, rock etc....

wanting two hardcore full range cabs to go on top of three subs basically. They must be able to keep up with 3x 1000w celestion drivers in LIGWA cabs.

I have no plans to grow it.... this is me fading into the black with a little party rig to call my own.

I have been offered a pair of DAS R-215 for 950.. The extra 2db of spl isn't worth the extra 15kg of weight over the JBL SRX though... unless someone has a report on them?
lickweed View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lickweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 6:41pm
very good cabs reference r215,huge n10 compression driver with 4"vc,got wheels so easy to carry around
btw Looks like i was the one who offered you these cabs

Edited by lickweed - 11 February 2020 at 6:43pm
http://www.liquidsound.co.uk/
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 6:41pm
Cool, thats some to work with, do you want to be able to run the tops from one amp or are you happy to go three way?

I guess you have the subs already? if so does that mean you have an amp channel spare? in which case, garden parties don't really need stereo so as long as the amp can do 2.66, one side for sub, one side for two tops? You'll have plenty of headroom whatever tops you go for.
blah blah blah blah blah......
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Noyzmunky Noyzmunky wrote:

wanting two hardcore full range cabs to go on top of three subs basically. They must be able to keep up with 3x 1000w celestion drivers in LIGWA cabs.

If you are referring to the JBL SRX 725, providing you feed each box reasonable power (1800 - 2400 watts @ 4 ohms) you will find yourself having lack of bass issues than top issues. Typically in the States, a pair JBL SRX 725 would sit on top of four JBL SRX 728 for small soundman.

The JBL SRX Series is a matured line which, is why JBL keeps improving the series throughout the decades based on power handling and durability .

If you do not have the means to power the JBL SRX 725 properly, then, it would be best to focus on lower wattage full range speakers.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 8:10pm
Hands down. Nexo MSI V. If you can find a decent pair. 
In bass no one can hear you scream!
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 9:59pm
@monkeypuzzle: yes I have three 1000w LIGWA subs already and a 4 channel amp putting 800w@4R into each channel.

@elliot: nice to see you still posting man, you were of great help in my first learning curve. These would only be used in anger with 1.5k of sub under each one. otherwise they'd be full range for a laid back afternoon in the sun.
is having a minimum of say 1.5k per cab a minimum full stop, or is that only needed if a sub is not present? So 800w with a sub = great. 1800w without a sub - great?

@lickweed: There are not that many places we sound junkies can congregate it would seem. good to know its all in the family. Your offer is a good one and well appreciated. It's a hard choice because I always loved the sound of DAS kit but the extra 30kg of whats probably magnets is just too much for me to shift about with my back as it is.

Edited by Noyzmunky - 11 February 2020 at 10:26pm
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 10:01pm
@midas: I will have a look at them, cheers. Nexo is costly kit though!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>