Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JBL SRX700 vs ??? for £1000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 10:14pm
the power handling of the JBL seems phenomenal. But I guess this is technology for you
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
lickweed View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lickweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 10:26pm
You gonna need way more then 800 p/ch 4ohm for jbl 725
http://www.liquidsound.co.uk/
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by lickweed lickweed wrote:

You gonna need way more then 800 p/ch 4ohm for jbl 725

Right, ok, that's good to know. I can get another amp for the subs and bridge the 4 channel into 2 and give them 3k each.

please bare in mind these will almost always be run at about 15% with occasional gatherings. It's fair fair though. no point buying the cabs If you can't feed them. Buy a cat not a lion if you only have felix for dinner.

I'm kinda being swayed towards the more expensive, need to buy another amp option just for kicks. you only sell your 25year old Japanese coupe once..

I will be bi amping the JBL if they were to be bought. I have a nice 400w@4R 1U digi to run the top section.

EDIT: If you build it they will come... just talking to an old mate in the trade and it looks like he might have work for me this year as long as I have the wattage..lol… you couldn't write it.

Edited by Noyzmunky - 12 February 2020 at 12:03am
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 10:44pm
I'm shocked that the 15'' can take all the way from 50hz to 1.2khz and play at concert quality at that level. (they're sold as concert quality anyway) But I'v been out of the game for 15 years and I never had new kit then...
el chupacabra View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote el chupacabra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 3:24am
Part of the attraction of the JBL is the passive crossover, if you're biamping anyway it kinda opens you up to the whole market of 2x12 or 2x15 + comp/mid+comp cabinets out there - portability permitting.
Re: 50hz it can play at low level but it will run out of excursion at full pasty. miniscoops will meet other cabinets at 90-120 nicely.

I've seen some martin f215 listed on fb this week, on ebay some shermann 2x15 emmy+ phl mid + beyma comp. There's a couple of b&c & fane loaded x12s even. The DAS would be fine, they're kinda from the early 2000's are RF series. new days for neo but early days for penny pinching and outsourcing components. Current DAS ranges are a huge spectrum. In 2005 I thought the pinnacle 15+mid+comp was probably the DAS Compact 1 (also was drawn to the srx722 briefly).

No need to focus specifically on the JBL SRX725. They sound fine for a disco. I've definitely heard them struggle to keep up with bands in a small venue but probably underpowered. The drivers would be considered nothing special compared to the current crop of 18sound/rcf neos/b&c/faital/bms etc.

Honestly, there's loads about. I've certainly forgotten more models of cabs that could fit the bill than I could ever recall instantly. My version of this currently is a pair of Tony Wilkes old rear ported 2x12" Volt RV3153 and a Beyma CP385ND on an old B&C ME45 1" horn. fills a nice gap between single 12/15" logic coaxials and hornloaded community cabinets. Just try and find yourself something nice. UK is pretty much the biggest second hand market going this time of year.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 3:39am
Originally posted by Noyzmunky Noyzmunky wrote:

@elliot: nice to see you still posting man, you were of great help in my first learning curve. These would only be used in anger with 1.5k of sub under each one. otherwise they'd be full range for a laid back afternoon in the sun.
is having a minimum of say 1.5k per cab a minimum full stop, or is that only needed if a sub is not present? So 800w with a sub = great. 1800w without a sub - great?

The JBL SRX 725 is rated 4800 watts peak. So that would be 2400 watts program power. You can feed each enclosure 800 watts but, you will not attain a lot of SPL.

An amplifier that offers 800 watts per channel @ 4 ohms would be better suited with a loudspeaker that are rated 400 watts RMS in order to attain maximum SPL from the loudspeaker.

The above is what I meant about JBL improving their SRX Series in terms of Power Handling throughout the decades. If you were considering the old SR 4733X you would be 400 watts short (-1.76 dB) of the program rating which, is not a big deal. With the SRX 725, you are 1600 watts short (-4.77 dB) of the program rating. That is a noticeable difference in terms of SPL.

Two times the RMS rating makes a world of a difference especially in terms of sound quality. For the chosen few that use amplifiers that are five times (and/or more) the RMS rating of their loudspeaker(s) for the mid-high region, you'll realise you do not need to rely on heavy equalisation or special enhancement processors in order to attain the sound you are aiming for anymore.

Dynamically, loudspeakers sound better when there is enough power on hand for high dynamic music signals. You can try to mask it in the bass department and accept more distortion and say it sounds warmer. However, in the mid - high region such distortion is unacceptable in the ears of the majority.  

I am definitely not telling you not buy the boxes, for it would be foolish not to capatalise on such a great deal. I am merely letting you know if you decide to drive each JBL SRX 4725 @ 800 watts per channel and, find your tops lacking, you know the amplifier is the weakest link in the chain.

Best Regards,  

Elliot Thompson
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 9:59am
@el Chupacabra: amazing info, cheers. Bi amping is defo a factor as I get to fiddle about with the DSP. having a good internal xover is also key so I can just chuck one on an amp and have sound.
The market is getting warmer. Part of the reason I'm looking now. If you can remember any other model numbers worth a listing and research I'd be very grateful.

@Elliot: Thanks. that's a really good reply. I am totally aware of the amp factor, I was just unaware these cabs were quite so power hungry. That said, given say 3k each, which is viable with my current kit. Would they sound good at low volume? Or are they really only for extended SPL and loud? In which case a pair of the active powered mackies, or something like... would be better for general listening at a lower volume.. They wont be able to keep up with the subs at High volume though...

It's a narrow brief.. Nice sweet sounds to listen to in the garden, mixed with occasional festival outtings where 3k a cab seems moderate...
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 10:14am
found the SHERMANNs. wicked looking speakers and right up my street, what I really want is a BI amped three way twin 15'' but I cant see me spending that kinda cash on eminence omega pro drivers.

Ebay is such a wash with shitty vonyx and skytech stuff it makes searching this specific item a nightmare.. It's been so long I cant even remember the real producers names...and that's how people list them..
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 11:04am
Those Shermanns are very good, designed by Ken Hughes a very smart man, look what you are getting for a grand, 4 x 15s is £800 plus the PHLs and horns plus the Beymas, a grand is actually a very good deal, Ken designed the crossover network to be as good as it could for those components so no point in not using it, no brainer really.

Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 11:41am
Yeah I'm with you, but omega pro.....    it's fair though. I will have another look. they are exactly the sort of power and style and everything I'm looking for......
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 12:20pm
What is wrong with the drivers? Ken is a smart man, he wouldn't use drivers that are rubbish, and they clearly work well in his cabs.
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 1:02pm
na, nothing wrong really. It's just eminence used to have a whiff of the Behringer about it. I had loads of omegas back in the day and they seemed to be fragile compared to other drivers of the same cost. That was before digital limiters though....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>