Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JBL SRX700 vs ??? for £1000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 1:19pm
so using the CA4 specs (he has updated the drivers so that's a fair spec) the shermanns have quite a lower spl at full chat but a higher sensitivity than either the JBL or the DAS currently being looked at.. Heavier than both though.

So I'm taking that they'll sound good/better at lower volumes and not kick as hard when pushed hard. But you get a smoother response through the frequency range thanks to the 6.5''...

Would that be a fair assumption?

https://www.shermann.com/archive/data-sheets/ca4-data.pdf

my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 2:52pm
Cheers to el Chupacabra.

Bought the shermanns. they are the right balance between the jbl and the Mackie with the oldschool look I love. 2k a cab, full three way, twin 15''. Perfect.

Gonna need to get to the osteopath though... lol..

Cheers all. looks like my little vanity project is coming together nicely. I knew the hivemind would have something to fit the bill.
el chupacabra View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote el chupacabra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 12:30am
Originally posted by Noyzmunky Noyzmunky wrote:

so using the CA4 specs (he has updated the drivers so that's a fair spec) the shermanns have quite a lower spl at full chat but a higher sensitivity than either the JBL or the DAS currently being looked at.. Heavier than both though.

So I'm taking that they'll sound good/better at lower volumes and not kick as hard when pushed hard. But you get a smoother response through the frequency range thanks to the 6.5''...

Would that be a fair assumption?

https://www.shermann.com/archive/data-sheets/ca4-data.pdf

How I would phrase it is - If the situation calls for them to be run at full chat, try and make the subs do a little bit more of the work in the kick passband. The omega pro's have plenty of power handling but a modest BL of 17 and an xmax of 4.8mm so at really high levels go easy on the 15" below say 150/200. that can be with a higher highpass filter or with an eq cut to take the edge off. even dynamic eq to compress the punch when it hits that threshold.

That's cool that you got them though. Congrats. They'll sound a lot more balanced with that phl 6" than some of the other formats you considered. The 64kg weight will be quite worth it for the well braced and dampened construction (24mm baffle!) but I do hope you find them manageable. often a forgotten manufacturer but Ken has been putting out honest and genuinely practical designs for a long time on a modest scale.
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 6:28am
Says they are still for sale.

Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 12:07pm
@el chupa: Thanks for the info. really appreciated. Having done abit more research on them they seem well suited to my needs nowadays. Nice and musical which is the most important bit. I'll start off putting modest power in and see how we go. The subs I have will cross over that high, and the DSP can be adjusted. But the basic take away is that if I ask them to do the kick section alone with 3000w going in, don't be surprised if they break. That's probably why they always seemed fragile then... I had them in horns playing 45-120hz.... rofl. As to the weight... well I always loved Tony ASS cabs, and they're not light. More wood means less vibration means better sound. I have a sack truck and a container. All good. I will say that I turned down the DAS based on the weight difference to the JBL, and these are heavier, but that full Bi amped three way action is enough to turn a guys head..

@concept: I imagine if you were to offer him his asking price cash he might renege on my offer and take it. And good luck to you. I'll be on the road to collect tomorrow in the hopes you don't.

They will be loved, I may get buried in one. I never had kit this good of this size back in the day. It was all 150kg ASS mid tops with 6 bullets in each one... You can't get that out for a nice sunday afternoon in the sun.    

Edited by Noyzmunky - 13 February 2020 at 3:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123