Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wiring this way okay?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2020 at 6:41pm
Would a inline fuse on the head unit positive cable be ok?
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2020 at 10:33pm
It will be OK but unnecessary as previously said
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

It should be fine, the HU will have a ~10amp fuse in the back of it.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2020 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Jack1991 Jack1991 wrote:

Originally posted by Jack1991 Jack1991 wrote:

right ok so this was would be 100% then? I dont need or should have anything else to add? The inline fuse would be the one supplied with the amplifier wiring kit. And be fitted within 1ft of the battery

This is NOT in a car by the way. Its just going to be a off grid 12v sound system. 

So to clarify this way would be 100% fine? If not someone please let me know what i would need to do

Yes, that's fine.
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2020 at 12:34am
Cool perfect thank you! Want to make sure i dont f it up. Cheers guys 👍🏼
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2020 at 3:28am
to clarify, you need a fuse immediately post battery on the supply - before the amplifier.

my HU fuse comment related to having a link from amp to HU. Long as the initial fuse prevents the battery dumping its capacity on a short - essentially being a welder, all is well.
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2020 at 9:27am
Its easier to understand what you're doing is right if you know why you're doing it. 

Basically you shouldn't have leads from the battery terminal that dont have fuses on them (as biscuits has said,  close to the terminal)

If you do and it touches anything or the sheathing gets cut or a component failure etc, there's nothing to stop the battery trying to put all its stored energy through the cable,. Things get hot and fires start. 

So if you wire the units one after the other as your diagram, one fuse is fine. If you put a second feed for the hu or something else on as biscuits suggests you could,  that also needs a fuse close to the battery.

Every cable needs a fuse. If you take power from a point that's already got a fuse somewhere between the point you're taking power from and the battery that's ok, if not you need to add a new fuse. 

I know I've basically said what's been said already, but id rather you understood what you're doing than just did it because we said it was fine. Less likely to make mistakes if you can think it through for yourself.    

Edit for clarity of terminology!

Edited by JonB67 - 16 February 2020 at 9:32am
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2020 at 9:54am
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

Its easier to understand what you're doing is right if you know why you're doing it. 

Basically you shouldn't have leads from the battery terminal that dont have fuses on them (as biscuits has said,  close to the terminal)

If you do and it touches anything or the sheathing gets cut or a component failure etc, there's nothing to stop the battery trying to put all its stored energy through the cable,. Things get hot and fires start. 

So if you wire the units one after the other as your diagram, one fuse is fine. If you put a second feed for the hu or something else on as biscuits suggests you could,  that also needs a fuse close to the battery.

Every cable needs a fuse. If you take power from a point that's already got a fuse somewhere between the point you're taking power from and the battery that's ok, if not you need to add a new fuse. 

I know I've basically said what's been said already, but id rather you understood what you're doing than just did it because we said it was fine. Less likely to make mistakes if you can think it through for yourself.    

Edit for clarity of terminology!

Thank you mate that is an absolutely perfect explanation. And thankyou ginger_biscuit too makes sense now. 🙂👍🏼

Edited by Jack1991 - 16 February 2020 at 9:55am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12