Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Passive crossover advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Passive crossover advice
    Posted: 12 February 2020 at 1:29pm
Hi i wondered where people get there passive crossovers from? Im UK based. They seem quite expensive the pre-built ones and there doesnt seem to be much choice online. I saw some people make them thereself but that is far beyond my knowledge right now to do that. Surely most buy pre-built anyway id imagine??

Its a Mid-Top speaker im going to build. 3.5k crossover point 8ohm
8" mid driver with a cd horn tweeter

Any advice or pointers would be great thanks.

Edited by Jack1991 - 12 February 2020 at 2:08pm
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 2:57pm
if your up for the challenge build your own
In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by dlyxover dlyxover wrote:

if your up for the challenge build your own

I would love to, but i would need a detailed, simplified, step by step process to follow. Like a "crossovers for dummies" guide or something.

And i imagine it would end up costing more than buying a pre built one once id bought all the tools/bits needed

Edited by Jack1991 - 12 February 2020 at 3:09pm
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 3:12pm
Some of the tools are pretty cheap. REW and XSim do the job just fine.
However, you'll also need a measurement setup and the knowledge on how to use it effectively.

IMO, pre-built crossovers are a waste of time unless they're intended for the exact speaker you're building. Different speakers have different impedance and frequency curves, and therefore each needs to be treated individually if you want best results.

If you're near Sheffield, gimme a shout.

Chris
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 4:24pm
Oh right ok cool thanks for the info. It definitely does sound far beyond my knowledge then.

Would you say the difference of using pre built and a custom made one is night and day?  Or is it something for a first time speaker builder it would be just fine.

Im not looking to build the worlds best speaker but obviously i dont want it to sound crap either.

Also thanks appreciate the offer but im down in bristol. 

Edited by Jack1991 - 12 February 2020 at 4:25pm
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 5:26pm
Another thing i wondered is this

If i have 2 identical speakers (mid 8ohm, tweeter 8ohm, crossover 8ohm)

If i ran 2 of the same speakers in parrallel to get a 4 ohm load. Will that affect the 8ohm crossover. Or will it all be fine? 

Thanks
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 5:49pm
In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Jack1991 Jack1991 wrote:

Oh right ok cool thanks for the info. It definitely does sound far beyond my knowledge then.

Would you say the difference of using pre built and a custom made one is night and day?  Or is it something for a first time speaker builder it would be just fine.

Im not looking to build the worlds best speaker but obviously i dont want it to sound crap either.

Also thanks appreciate the offer but im down in bristol. 

A generic crossover will never sound as good as something purpose-built for the drivers you've chosen. The "not sound as good" could be anything from a big peak or dip in the response, and/or inadequate tweeter protection resulting in premature driver death.

Originally posted by Jack1991 Jack1991 wrote:

Another thing i wondered is this

If i have 2 identical speakers (mid 8ohm, tweeter 8ohm, crossover 8ohm)

If i ran 2 of the same speakers in parrallel to get a 4 ohm load. Will that affect the 8ohm crossover. Or will it all be fine? 

Thanks

Passive crossovers react to impedance changes, and it's not always predictable.

Active crossovers are easier in a lot of ways, and make sense for medium-to-high-power PA systems.

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 12:06am
I'm working on a passive crossover design at the moment.  Taking significantly longer than the time it took to build the actual cabinet!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 7:54am
Yep, sounds about right.
I find XSim to work pretty well if your measurements are decent.

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 10:52pm
Not used XSim before, previously done it more by trial and error plus a couple of spreadsheets which do some of what XSim can.  Since a few people have mentioned it I thought I'd give it a go, loaded my impedance plots in and it's really helped.  Still trial and error to some extent but quite useful to check out what varying each component value will do before trying it in practice.

Finally got something I was happy with this afternoon.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2020 at 9:35am
Yeah, it won't tell you what to do, but it'll show you what happens when you do something.

It gets easier with practice. If you get into the menus, it shows you component power dissipation, too, which is useful for speccing resistors etc.

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>