Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8core cables gone wiggly. Can it be corrected?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8core cables gone wiggly. Can it be corrected?
    Posted: 14 February 2020 at 8:47pm
Just got 30M of 2.5 8core. Its gone wiggle thanks to poor customer coiling.

Is there any way to straighten it out? I'v not had chance to lay it out but I'm not sure just twisting it from one ends going to work?

it's perfectly serviceable as it is of course, not for hire maybe, but fine, I'd just like it a bit straighter.
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2020 at 12:32am
Chop it down into link cables... 
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2020 at 1:02am
Na, I need the lengths. 1x 10m 1x 20m. So I worked out you have to take the connector off and kind off push each twist out. You can't just twist it backwards, you have to release each twist as it's gone round the core element and got stuck. Takes ages ad is good wrist exercise.

Seems to come back much softer and under less tension, obviously a bit longer and no spiral springers training along the floor. I'v only done a bit so far but it looks to help.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2020 at 1:50pm
I think the usual technique is to lay it out straight in the sun, and let it soften up. Then if you give it a bit of a stretch the kinks should unravel.

Of course, unless your yard is 30 metres long and located somewhere with sunshine, this is difficult LOL
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
haymere View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote haymere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2020 at 5:30pm
Either a very hot bath, or a heat gun & much gentle manipulation
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2020 at 6:29pm
Not Van Damme is it? They have had issues with this in the past, but I thought they had sorted it ( not that i would order Van Damme or any other brand of “speaker” cable, HO7 or socapex for me)

Unfortunately ive seen lots of speaker and line level multi’s do this and never seen one fixed, so best of luck!
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2020 at 7:13pm
I understand the working theory with these issues is that when the cables are made up from new, the cable comes straight off the drum with internal stresses and twists in it from being coiled and then two connectors with strain relief are put on each end, trapping the stresses and twists in and that over time these cause issue.

Ideally when making the cables up, make off one end of the cable and lay out / drape the cable for a day to let everything sort itself out
Marko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2020 at 11:49am
I have this issue with 8 core Sommer cable... 
Never managed to fix it. Try leave it in the sun on a hot day, try put it in the fridge alsoTongue, try push it twist it... everything... at the end i chop it to short lenght link cables ant then somehow managed to straighten  these short pieces by pulling and twisting but still not 100% straight.
And Im not convinced that this happend because of bad handling...
Im using Tasker 8 core for a year now, will see how it goes... so far so good..

Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2020 at 4:31pm
I see the struggle is real...

I think this cable has been disconnected at one and rolled across the floor to a new position. Maybe someone couldn't be bothered to pick it up and kicked it across, in the process adding about 4000 new twists....

It is coming back though! You have to isolate say three twists and push them out, all the way out. Wet tea towel in hand wrapped round cable and push/ pull. My shoulders are getting hench and it's going to take about 7 hours grunting but this 270£ worth of cable is going to become 'straight'. It certainly wont be all jiggered up in a ball inside.

It might just be this particular cable having been damaged in this way but it is working.
 Post Reply Post Reply